Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, soon I will be going to pick up a new OK Prowler Big Game II. My plan is just to use the bed of my truck (racks are not an option for me). I went out and did some measurments today and I will have a little over 4 feet hanging off the back (12.5ft kayak). Do yall think this is too much to hang off, I dont want the weight of the part hanging off to damage the hull. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, trying to avoid buying a bed extender. More money torwards gear!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Just make sure to put "the ass end in first". The front is lighter and more narrow, so I'll hang that end off the back of the truck.

·
Formerly Hank Hill
839 Posts
Get yourself come 12 foot tiedown straps and a per flag for the part hanging out.

·
Freshwater Flounder
3,840 Posts
I haul my Prowler which is a little over 13' bow to stern in the bed of my Chevy PU all the time with no problems. I angle the bow into a corner & tie it down there & 1 tie also at the rear. I used to secure it at more points till I finally figured out the extra was really unnecessary. My truck bed gives it 8' supported with the tailgate down - prob just a tad more considering I load it in at an angle. I can even leave the wheel cart strapped on & they hang just below the end of the tailgate when hauling & I can just slide it right off onto the wheels when I get where I'm going. I also have a 12' Pescador ... if I'm carrying both I'll turn 'em on their sides & load 'em straight in - I'll strap 'em a little differently when I do that.

If I were on the freeway or out of the local area where kayaks aren't so common, yeah, I'd probably think about attaching a red flag just to avoid any problems with the PoPo ... but I've never had any issues with that between my house in Pace going to the beach or the bay.

(btw - the Simpson River kayak launch in Pace seems to built the perfect height for unloading from a pickup ... you can just back the truck right up to it & slide the yak on/off - I love that launch - never caught much there, but i'm not a very good fisherman either apparently)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a nice launch. After a couple beers I may be tempted to ride the yak down it.

·
Freshwater Flounder
3,840 Posts
That is a nice launch. After a couple beers I may be tempted to ride the yak down it.
You might need to grease the rails first. And be sure to post a video for us all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts