Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are going to purchase a WS Ride 135 and a Perception Tribe in the very near future and I'm looking for some information on transporting them. I own a 07' Toyota 4runner with a stock roof rack. I've looked around at utility trailers that I could modify but if I can use bolt on brackets to roof transport them on my rack I would like to go that route. Any insight would be great.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Think about all the salt water running down trough the roof... mmm I would not do it...but thats just me. You can get get a small trailer you can fit in your garage, mod it to fit two kayaks and you ll be a happy camper. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I just put them in the bed of the truck. Easy in, easy out. One of them is a 14' the other is a scrambler 11.5'

·
Registered
528 Posts
Your choice, but weight the costs

First, find out what the weight limit of your racks are. I think the Tacoma I have was less than 100#s. I built my racks heavy duty for the truck bed to handle them.

In regards to expense, you can easily spend over $400 for Thule bars, kayak hull mounts, and hulley rollers. I bought mine via CL by using Searchtempest .com and getting the seller to send them to me. I bought all the mounts and straps for $100. I have seen cheaper since, but it is hit and miss. Just watch CL for deals. Don't forget clearance for your garage door if you park inside. The rack holders... add more height to your already tall ride.

The guys are right about the trailer. I don't have a dedicated trailer for the yaks as I meant to transport mine with a travel trailer in tow. You can buy a small trailer for around $250 or so and modify it to do a great job towing them. Advantages are that you don't have to lift them over your head to get onto the vehicle. Try that with 2 Hobie Outbacks like I have! Then, all your stuff can be put into a tool box or such on the trailer if you are slick with your design.

Their are positives and negatives for both, but weigh them carefully.

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
There is a simple solution if you arent terribly concerned about your interior of your vehicle. I have a 99 pathfinder and occasionally transport mine and my dads kayaks both 12 feet. One goes in the typical strapped to the roof manner and the other goes inside with the back gate closed through the back window. Only leaves a foot or two hanging out but will get a ton of sand inside. Put a blanket over the edge of the back window and it won't damage anything. May be a little rigged looking but gets the job done. I usually go alone though so I would recommend an investment in another method if you'll be carrying two often.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Get a small trailer. You will thank yourself.
I really like my converted bass boat trailer, I can easily haul a couple of Ride 135s on it. There can be one problem with a trailer however. I have been to a couple of places to launch that weren't exactly trailer friendly. I have on a these occasions had to unhook the trailer, pull it alongside my jeep and chain/lock it to the jeep. This is a seldom occurrence, but something to consider depending on where you like to launch.
Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'm going to convert my Jon Boat trailer. I looked into the the J-craddles and my roof rack isn't capable of handling that much weight, thanks boatnbob I never even thought about that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts