Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market to upgrade my transducer and eventually my sonar. I am currently using a 2003 Furuno 1650 WF (600 watt) that has the P66 transom mount xducer. I am looking at eventually upgrading to the Garmin 4212 unit but just cannot afford it at this time. Does anyone have any useful input on these machines that they could offer? They seem user friendly enough after using a Furuno though Im sure anything would seem user friendly. I am looking at the Airmar TM260 ducer that is the transom mount but this thing is as big as a 2 qt pot and with my hull design I really have no place to properly install it. I am not sure I want to go with thein hull model of the 260 because if I ever sell the boat to upgrade then I am letting go of a very expensive component that I may not be able to recover cost on (and the huge hole required).

Has anyone or does anyone have any experience with the shoot thru hullmodel of the 260? Are these units powerfull enough so as to not loose clarity or get any false reading? Any information on this matter will be helpful in my decision. We hope to be fishing some deeper water this season and for us that is 350+.

Is this too much ducer for my usage or will I appreciate the separation from bottom and clarity of digital no matter what depth I am fishing in?

Will the in hull model eliminate some of the bubble washout I experience from reversing engine to hold on a spot?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have the B164 ducer on a 25 ft center console and love it -

low drag and Its strong enough that I dont have to worry about hitting trailer bunks

You have to swallow hard and drill a 3.75 inch hole - but it mounts almost flush - I have a Furuno 585 & with the B164 I have held the bottom at over 1000 ft at 50 kHz - and marked fish at 700 ft at trolling speeds

Keith

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I am not sure I want to go with the in hull model of the 260 because

Lets be clear here.

"In Hull" aka "shoot thru" = No hole cut and sound waves shoot thru the hull thickness.

This would be the Airmar M-260

Thru Hull =Hole is cut thru the bottom of the boat

This would be the Airmar B-260.

The Furuno 1650 is NOT a user friendly unit. Have to jump

thru menus.

The Garmin 4212 is a Chartplotter until you add the GSD22.

The 620 [600watts] and 585 [1000 watts] are user friendly. They have knobs.

What Mullethead has is what I'd recommend. But if you really want to spend some more money, there are other X-ducers.

That B-164 is aprox $700 to $ 750

The B-260TM is something I would not want on my boat.

The first reason is it will be Ugly.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=288

Comboing up stuff makes it more of a PITA. IE: Charplotter/FF and splitting the screen.

It put's out NEMA 2000. Most VHF's need NEMA 0183 for talking to it for DSC to work.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what might be a better use of funds? Use what I have for a chart plotter (satisfied with this) and back up sonar and buy the B164 and the 585? Would I still need the GSD22?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a Raymarine FF/Chartplotter(C120) with the M260 transducer which is a shoot thru the hull model. Yes, it is a real expense but great performance. Also. it is a 1000 watt ducer. Reads excellent at 350' or so. However, have a knowledgable person look at your hull to determine the degree of difficulty in mounting this style of transducer. Depending upon your hull, it can be challenging. Gooid Luck!!

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
You didn't say what Chartplotter you have now?

No GSD22 needed. That is only to convert the 4212 Chartplotter into a Combo unit.

I'm not putting Raymarine on anything. Did it once.

You will be hard pressed to beat or need to upgrade if you go with the Furuno 585 and Airmar B-164.

What you will get is a unit that can be run in AUTO. [I never run a FF in AUTO] And a Super easy unit to run in Manual. I can show you how to run it in manual in 2 mins. and each one of the 620 or 585's leave here like that.

If you have a problem with it on the water and are in Cell distance I can talk you thru it real easy.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have no experience with transducers, and I didn't spend the night at a Holiday Inn. My only input is do not be afraid to put Another hole in your boat.

All your drains and all the thru hulls can leak into your boat if the hose becomes disconnected but the transducers "plug" the hole.

This is what I have and I believe it is archaic now and the ducers are much smaller and streamlined, but I see the bottom MUCH better than mymiddle of the roadbackup transom mount.

Of course cost will dictate, but don't let a hole in your boat make you stay away from thru hulls. :letsdrink

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
That unit that Scott showed is a B-260 with it's fairing block.

The pix's show well, but I have some with a tape measure beside it to show you how BIG that sucker really is.

I have that X-ducer in my boat but got rid of the fairing block. It was a LOT of work to install and you have to have access.

This is the quick version. There are steps missing with all the fiberglass.

http://www.classicmako.com/projects/xshark/bw27.htm

Then they came along years later with the Tilted Element versions and life became much easier.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the input, it is all appreciated. X-shark the 1650 is a combo unit that came with the boat and after one season on the water with it i am pretty proficient with the furuno layered menu set-up, and the FF operation. my problem really is the fact that in split screen mode with plotter/FF the screen is so small that I have to keep switching to either/or to get the data i need and the stock P66 ducer is just not strong enough to hold bottom while moving over 10 knts or so. I was simply looking more for a larger screen area to view. You have me wondering now that maybe I could keep the 1650 for chart plotter (used in full screen and for back-up FF) and install the 585 with new ducer for the FF. This would be way more affordable since I wouldn't need the GSD22 now. Will the 585 flush mount in the dash? The 1650 is pretty dang accurate for a chartplotter...its just slow to redraw. IE when I approach a spot and round up on it , I will be going say North already while it is still saying that I am going south still. It has about a 3 second lag. I have learned to just get on the compass to overcome this lag when I am power drifting anyway so that is more of an inconvenience than a problem. In fact I have heard that I may be able to fix that with a larger chip. Anyway , I am also convinced that a hole for the ducer is not that much of an issue if done properly.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info x-shark. i do have plentry of room on the dash panel . just trying to weigh my options now and pull the trigger. Thanks everyone else as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts