Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'll be replacing the 'ducer on my Garmin 498 combo unit. From all the research I've done the last couple days it appears I have only a couple options with a transom mount transducer. The original one, which came with my unit appears to be Garmin part #010-10272-00. It always worked great and picked up bottom at any speed, gave a pretty good picture of bottom structure and decent on fish. My main use is cruising, bottom fishing and finding structure for diving, so I had no real complaints with it's performance, but since I have to replace it anyway, it looks like I could upgrade to part #010-10192-01. It appears that this is also sold as an Airmar P66-DST6G and costs about twice as much.

So, my questions are, does anyone have any first hand experience with either of these set ups? Is the upgrade worth it? Would the Airmar cable match my Garmin unit? Any helpful advice or experience would be appreciated.

I can't afford the Furuno right now, so that's not an option. :reallycrying

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Airmar made the Garmin X-ducer. :)

The P66 is a 600watt transom mount X-ducer.

You order it to fit a Garmin and it will plug right in.

Now......:)

There is a B-60 Arimar. This is a tilted element thru hull X-ducer. It is 600 watts and has temp also.

It has a cable that is 5ft long on it, but comes with another cable for the unit you order it for.

This means that you order the unit for your Garmin now and you can order that cable for the Furuno later.

I've installed a bunch of these and everyone likes them.

Years ago, Airmar had them on their website saying "Coming Soon". I was one of the first ones to have a write up on what was fact and what was fiction about these units. No...I did not do the write up on PFF. It was on "The Hull Truth".

The main this that Airmars website had wrong was the hole size. The correct size is 2 3/8in. Their website said 2in.

Here is a couple of installs.

This is how I do the cable connection. This connection ends up inside a rigging tube. I put it together with some dielectric grease and then put heat shrink w/ glue over the connection.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a brand new in the box 010-10192-01 transducer if you would like to buy it. Never been used... Has speed and temp, 200/50 KHZ, beamwidth 12/45 degree. Make me a reasonable offer and it is yours

It is an Airmar P-66 with garmin connectors,,, manufactured by Garmin

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
X-Shark,

That set up looks sweet and I know If I had you do it, it would be top notch, but I'm not quite ready to put a hole in my hull yet; well, besides the ones that are already there for the transom mount unit and cable fasteners on the transom.If, for some reason I change my mind,I guessthat tilted element transducer would work on a 20 deg. deadrise?

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
I guess that tilted element transducer would work on a 20 deg. deadrise?

Yes ....They make a 12deg and a 20deg model that covers 4degs each side of the listed number.

IE: a 20 deg would cover 16degs to 24degs.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks X, that's exactly what I was wondering and makes sense. I was concerned if the angle wasn't right, the image would be off to one side of the boat.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
X-Shark,

Great visual on how it works. For now, I've decided I'm just going to replace it with the same transducer I had; it worked great for my needs, but if I ever have a problem with it or break the mount again, I'm going to go with that thru hull unit. Thanks for the info, glad your here on the forum. :bowdown

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
X Shark

Don't want to hijack the thread here concerning 600W thru hull transducers, but I have a Furuno 585 1000 Watt machine and am currently running a 600Watt thru hull transducer and it is working great.

But would liketo get the full benefits of the 1000 watt furuno 585. Is anyone making a 1000watt tilted thru hull compatible with Furuno that you would recommend? The Furuno 526TID perhaps?

I know a lot of people opt for a 1000 watt shoot thru, but I don't think the performance of a 1000watt shoot through transducer would beany better than a 600 Watt thru hull due to the loss of power that comes with having to shoot through the hull.

Any suggestions?

mark

·
Registered
5,652 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
X-Shark (3/23/2010)
offset from the hull?
Not sure what you mean?.....It does protrude from the outside of the hull 3/16in. and needs no fairing block. That is the beauty of it.
it just doesnt look like it is flush on the one side. the 5200 looks thicker on that side. it looks cocked in the first pic. im sure its just the picture as you seem about as anal as i am :)

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
X,

Thanks. Will take a look at the B-164. How do you like the M-260 shoot thru with respect to performance in deep water (300+)?

Mark

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts