Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
You can get a 7 to 5 pin adapter plug to make it simple.

I hate that setup. Your just inducing another plug connection and another place for something to go wrong.

Don't usually see 7 pin plugs on boat trailers. Waste of money when you can get by with the 4 or 5 pin flat plug. Much cheaper. Especially with the corrosion we have to deal with.

I say BS. You will find 7pin connectors on "MY" trailer's that had 4pin connectors. That is the way I rewire them so I don't have to fool with adapters and get a good tight fit into the 7 pin round female on the truck.

It's just one of those little things that makes life easier down the road, every time I plug the trailer light in and disconnect them. No having to go get and plug the adapter in.

I have a triaxle trailer here right now. I can't move it due to a stupid 5 pin connector. :(

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
fighterpilot (1/3/2010)Flounderassassin thanks, I will concentrate on the center pin connections. Truck outlet is plugged into the wiring harness, so may have to track down the backup lite source and pigtail off it to activate the center pin.
PM Sent

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
to wrap this one up, I dismantled the backup beeper and used that as a power source. Spliced to the orange wire, thinking it was center post, wrong, finally located the center post wire and spliced to that. I'll take a 2 x 4 with me when I go to put it in the water just in case. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I was pulling it with a 2000 F250 Super duty, 4WD truck with 10000 lb hitch system. Since I am selling the boat and trailer I decided to see what the market had to offer in an F150. I liked what I saw so put my truck up for sale. Sold it the next day--must have been too cheap. I replaced with a F150 extra cab 2wd, previously owned by the county. I can call on my son-in-law for his GMC Crew Cab 4wd to get the boat in and out of the water for demo purposes.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Found out today there is a relay in the under the hood fuse panel that just needs a fuse to activate the trailer backup system. Oh, well, maybe it will help the next guy.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts