Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towing a trailer with surge brakes. When the tow vehicle is put in reverse, if trailer and truck wired correctly, one can back the trailer without engaging the surge brake system. Trailer has a 7 pin bargman connector--like the travel trailer connection-- Which pin to the trailer is the "cutoff the surge brake one"? Is is the center pin? Than

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm not sure which pin it is, but it comes off the back up lights. You can get a 7 to 5 pin adapter plug to make it simple.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have the same problem with my wakeboard boat trailer. There should be a connection from your reverse lights to one of the pins just like the other guy said.

I've heard from other places you can use a 9volt battery to override it. Not sure how but I'll look and see if i can find the link again.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
7 to 5 won't help unless I can get the correct pin on the 7 pin wired. I can find the back up lite signal but which one do I hook too on the existing 7 pin on the truck? That is, what pin on the truck should I make hot with back up light signal?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SOS--7 pin is the center one. I will try to probe the trailer and see what pin goes to the surge brake controller--thought some one might know and save me the hassle. They must be the same on most surge brake trailers.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I posted the picture, but it vanished. Yes they are or should be standard. I have sold several of the 7-5 adapters. I may even have one at the shop.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it to open on web site. But that doesn't tell me what pin on the trailer bargman type connection goes to the surge controller.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I gotcha now. Don't usually see 7 pin plugs on boat trailers. Waste of money when you can get by with the 4 or 5 pin flat plug. Much cheaper. Especially with the corrosion we have to deal with.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Just put your foot on the brake lightly while backing up... That way it triggers it, to take the brakes off in reverse..I've seen ppl do this before and it works..

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I can't sort it out I'll try the brake trick. I have two trailers with surge brakes and the newer one does have the 5 pin connection. The older one has the seven pin. I have the 7 to 5 pin to use when I get the truck right. As an aside both trailers and boats will be for sale shortly. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
749 Posts
If you put a piece of 2x4 between the ram and ram frame/trailerframeso that when you back-up the ram will not be depressed in (pushed back) then thebrakes won't lock. It is a temp fix until you can get it wired correctly. The 2x4 is a redneck over-ride tool. LOL....BBob

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
If your boat trailer came factory wired with a 7 way then the center pin on the plug is going to be for backup lights to trigger your brake lock out cylinoid. if that 7 way was put on after the fact then as long as it was wired correctly then it will still be the center but if it wasnt who knows what pin it was hooked to. If i was home i would be more then happy to look at it with you and double check. wired trucks and trailers for a few years...7 way connectors are all standard not like the old 6 ways that there were 2 different standard ways to wire.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Flounderassassin thanks, I will concentrate on the center pin connections. Truck outlet is plugged into the wiring harness, so may have to track down the backup lite source and pigtail off it to activate the center pin.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts