Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How have you estimated the weight of a trailer for registration purposes?

I’m importing a trailer from MS, only have a bill of sale, and the state of Florida can’t proceed without a trailer weight.

Would I be OK estimating or should I go weigh it? It’s a galvanized trailer for a 1980 Mitchell Skiff.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Check the tongue to see if there is any info stamped into the metal. If you can find manufacturer, you might be able to pull specs off the web. But I do think the SR County landfill would weigh it for you. It'll probably come in at 493 pounds. ;)

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
My experience :.......At the tag office.....when they ask you and you hesitate....They make you weigh it and bring a weight slip. If you throw the number back at them quickly....It sounds like you know what your talking about.....and use a OFF number....like 624lbs......Not 600. and 500 even sounds suspicious and may throw a Red flag.

But I've weighed a bunch of trailers , because I wanted to know what I had going on. The landfill was mentioned....A scrap yard will do it also..for a dollar or 2...depends how far you want to drive.

·
Super Moderator
30,580 Posts
Last time I did it, I just got the print out from the co-op..... but I guess you could guestimate as long as they don't require a printout with exact weight.

·
Bearded Brotula
16,656 Posts
Glad I don't have to mess with all that BS in Alabama. The boat registration works for the trailer.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
The lighter it is......The cheaper the tag..... it's this weight to this weight Box 1 cheapest......Then another box from this to this weight....costs a little more...and so on.

Another fact....Trailers in Fl. do not have titles......until the actual weight of the trailer reaches 4000lbs and above. Less than that..Is a certificate of Origin.....which I've only seen 1.....and the tag receipt is it's ID.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Darn, missed it by one pound. ;)

I've gotten Certificates of Origin from the last three trailers I've bought, two from the boat builder (Beveratail Skiffs) and one when I bought direct from Rolls Axle. All were purchased in Florida.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts