Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We recently had to take a trip back to California for a grave side service for MIL at Riverside National Cemetery. Since we had not been since 2002, we decided to take it slow and easy towing our 22' HiLo travel trailer. I had replaced all four tires and wheels in 2003 and they had less than 1,500 miles on them when we left. I did not consider age to be a major factor, but I learned.

This is a tire with less than 4,000 miles.I check proper inflation regularly and at each stop, take a quick walk around with my infrared thermometer, checking the temp of the tires and bearings. All were okay until POW! This one did not blow, just threw it's tread.

We made it out to Anaheim, no problems, however on the way back we starting blowing tires, the first one just east of El Paso, so we went back to El Paso and bought a new tire.

Then the next morning in a RV park in Ft. Stockton, I noticed the right front was flat, so we bought another new tire. The tire dealer laughed when I told him we had Goodyear Marathons. They are 6 ply, ST trailer rated for 1,760 pounds. Our trailer weighs about 4,000 pounds wet and loaded, so we were well within our load range. Monday we were trying to get home, when we heard another big noise when this tire lost it's tread in Gulfport, MS. It did damage to the wheelwell as well as breaking one of the lift cables from the hydraulic ram to theright rear corner that lifts the top. In order to change a tire, you must lift the trailer top,, but with a broken cable it is difficult. We pulled off I-10, looking for a tire store, but they were all closed, so found a spot where I could change the tire. I carry a small floor jack and some wood shoring, so was using that to lift the corner of the trailer, when a guy who was playing ball with his kids say this old crippled phart and his wife struggling came over and took charge. He was a tile contractor in Gulfport and had some wood and concrete slabs in his truck, so we got the trailer top up and installed the spare. He was a GOOD OLE Mississippi boy and would not accept any money, so we invited him and his sons to visit us on Bayou Chico and go fishing.

We made it home on the two new tires, the spare of indeterminate age and the last of the Goodyear Marathons. Apparently trailer tires have a life span of about 5 years whether you use them or not. I always try to buy AMERICAN and have Coopers, (made in Mississippi, like me). The Coopers on my Chevy Van are holding up great, but are about 4 years old.

Anyone on the PFF a tire expert? Right now I have five boat trailers, all tandem axle, my car hauler flat bed trailer and our HiLo travel trailer for a total of 28 tires, then 3 cars X 4 tires for a total of 40 tires.

What to do?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I read thehulltruth site often and have seen many stories about the G/Y Marathon tires blowing up on people. From what I read, they are some of the worst trailer tires you can buy. Just my .02

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the same tire, and so far on my 2006 trailer, two have gone. one distorted, the other was fine and then just let go completely. The other 2 are coming off this season. I will not even be using them as a spare. Rocky's told me they were OK, when he replaced the distorted one, so I still have 3 Good-year's on the trailer. I have only ever used around town. I have a utility trailer with carlisles on it, and have never had a problem. That trailer goes to AL. and Georgia.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the same tire, and so far on my 2006 trailer, two have gone. one distorted, the other was fine and then just let go completely. The other 2 are coming off this season. I will not even be using them as a spare. Rocky's told me they were OK, when he replaced the distorted one, so I still have 3 Good-year's on the trailer. I have only ever used around town. I have a utility trailer with carlisles on it, and have never had a problem. That trailer goes to AL. and Georgia.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I understood that when you see tread separation it can be from an out of balance tire. The tire rolls down the road shaking and eventually shakes the tread cap loose.

Any idea if the tires were in balance? A lot of tire places don't balance trailer tires, and it's possible that with a heavy load like a travel trailer that if they were NOT balanced this would happen....

The other thing I've seen is the centering pin on the leaf packs break off and the axle shifts slightly (while still tightly bolted to the leafs) creating an out of alignment problem that will kill tires...

If you want to know how hold your tires are: look for the 4 number stamp on the sidewall like this v (2708)

It indicates the week (27) and the year (08) they were made.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I spent 20 years selling tires and worked for GoodYear for several years. The problem that you experienced id due to the tires inability to handle the heat build up that naturally occurs while they are rolling. While the tire you had a problem with was satisfactory in its ability to handle the load you were carrying, it lacked the ability to handle the heat buildup. Most likely cause is poor rolling resistance. When the heat gets great enough, the tread just separates from the body, much like a recap tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts