Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trailer needed some love, so since we are Corona-ed in I figured I would get something done. I went to Eddie English's trailer shop and he had some awesome brackets, carpet and a new strap. I ordered some Monel staples (thanks X-Shark) and went to lowes for nuts and bolts. On the side guides I added some PVC board not carpet and routered the edges. Now I am ready to pull the boat and maintenance time.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Looks professional

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Well done!

·
Super Moderator
28,160 Posts
Oughta get slicks to put on there too!!!

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Hmmmmmmm? So now I have to ask. What material is your boats hull made from?

When we talked about Monel staples.....I thought we were talking for upholstery?

By the shape of the trailer....is it a alum hull Pontoon boat?

If so......The carpet holds salt.....I don't care How well you rinse it....It will eat the Hull. Don't believe me? ask Doug or Joe at Blue Coral how many Pontoon boat floats they weld up from Corrosion...

Eddie English told you correct...The boat will slide.

So......Here is how you get around that and overcome it......It's what I had to do with slicks on a trailer and alum hull. Lots of folks remember "Tickle Me Green" My Flounder boat I built.

You unstrap the hull leaving Bow strap hooked......Back in......Crank motor and put it in gear with just a little above idle....Now remove strap and climb in boat and back it off. If you don't do that.....and you loosen the strap.....It will never get loose, as the boat slides back and keeps tension on strap, not allowing you to unhook it.

Retrieving boat......Drive it on leaving it in gear against the winch post, until strap is hooked and wench tight.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Bobby, it's the carolina skiff. They told me they use the slicks for aluminum boats and I am guessing here but bigger boats fiberglass.

Wouldn't Monel staples be better then 304ss staples? What I read said so.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Bobby, it's the carolina skiff. They told me they use the slicks for aluminum boats and I am guessing here but bigger boats fiberglass.

Wouldn't Monel staples be better then 304ss staples? What I read said so.

Ahhhhhh Good Not a alum hull.....Your fine then....Yes the Monel is better than the 304 Stainless when it comes to corrosion resistance.....Your Good to go......Looks Great :)

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,759 Posts
3"? not sure, why?
Just curious. I had a straight crossmember with 2 wedge shaped blocks about the same distance. One came off one day during recovery, screws rusted out, and I took off the bar thinking it wasn't needed.

Looked at one of the blocks I kept a year or so later and noticed a wear mark on the carpet of the wedge that was rubbed thru to the wood. Never thought the hull was getting close to that area.

Noticed the frame was flexing, have a walkway, because the bar was off so I put another crossmember back on. A V type for the clearance.

But I have a V hull.

DSCN1172.jpg

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,759 Posts
The walkway is really nice, don't have to worry about slipping off the I beam getting to the front of the trailer. Big plus is loading stuff in the boat pre launch.

Here's the new crossmember, got 5" clearance now. Walkway back to non flex in that area. Was a little concerning that the side beams would flex like that.
Stiffened it up without a blue pill. :D

0301201017_Burst01.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts