Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although this is my utility trailer, I think there are a lot of good lessons here.

The Jack had frozen up on this one. I started by taking off the handle and dropping out the inner assembly.

This is what the inside looked like, next to the new one.

I took the handle and outer sleeve off the new one. I had determined that I was going to lube up the entire shaft.

I noticed that the new one had a sealed bearing vs. the one the came on it. The top 5 inches got an extra heavy coating, since that seemed to rust pretty badly on the old one.

I dropped the outer sleeve back onto the new one, sporting a hidden coating of fresh grease.

Before I put the handle back on, it got a lifetime supply of lube.

I gave the threads a little squeeze, so my handle will always be there when I reach for it. If I ever need to get it back off, I'll just cut the bolt and replace it.

A little corrosionx in the handle and that wraps up the pre-work.

I extended out the inner sleeve to the point where the grease coating started and gave the exposed area a shot of corrosionx hd.

I pulled out the old outer sleeve and dropped the new jack in place. A shot of corrosionx between the two, will add a little extra rust protection in gap between the two.

A little dielectric grease on the ground connection.

I added an upgrade wheel to this one. It got a shot of corrosionx in the joint.

Finished.

Since I had the corrosionx hd out, I gave the gate lift spring a shot of love juice. Also took the opportunity to add a little grease to the wheel bearings.

The devils is in the details. After all this, I noticed the ground wire seal had seperated, which will eventually cause a headache. A little liquid electrical tape on it and over the entire bolt assembly should assure years of trouble free service.

If I had done this with the new one, when I first got the trailer from Kaufmans, it would have saved me $50.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
angus_cow_doctor (3/13/2010)Is it just me, or does anyone else wish that the folks that sell this stuff would just do all that before they sold it to ya?????????

No, it is not just you. Ever taken a brand new reel apart and looked at the what all manufacturers consider an appropriate amount of grease and oil. Now I just break down my reels from the start and lube them correctly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts