Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my trailer brakes were hung up very bad the other day after i towed the boat home from fishing...i have disc brakes on one axle but i dont have a brake hookup on my truck all that is on the trailer is the break away actuator...any ideas on how to get them fixed???

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Are they Surge brakes?? it's Not real hard to replace calipers if they are seizing up..

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Are all the tires locked up or just one? I had a caliper lock up on one of my wheels, that might be what happened to yours. Don't know if you have brakes on all axles/wheels. My trailer brakes will lock up if the trailer lights aren't hooked up. There is a pin you can pull out that will make the actuater extend so that they aren't braking so you can back it up w/out the lights hooked up.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they arent locking up or dragging...the pads are dragging hard on the rotors...noticed it puling home that it was harder than normal and when i got home i could smell burnt brakes

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Sounds like your calipers are corroded internallyand pistons will not retract each time braking actions put braking pressure on disks. Mine were recalled by maker for same reason and replaced under warranty........

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
fisheye48 (1/24/2010)they arent locking up or dragging...the pads are dragging hard on the rotors...noticed it puling home that it was harder than normal and when i got home i could smell burnt brakes
Sounds like a locked up caliper for sure...that was what mine was doing. Get it fixed soon or else you'll be puttin on new hubs/bearings too.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wharf Rat (1/24/2010)
fisheye48 (1/24/2010)they arent locking up or dragging...the pads are dragging hard on the rotors...noticed it puling home that it was harder than normal and when i got home i could smell burnt brakes

Sounds like a locked up caliper for sure...that was what mine was doing. Get it fixed soon or else you'll be puttin on new hubs/bearings too.

sounds like what ill be doing tomorrow:banghead thank god there is only 2 and not 4

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Do you need floor jack and jack stands??

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the offer dennis but i got a jack and a few jackstands...but i will get in touch if i need more

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
im sure my boat is under 3klbs

It's not the boat. It's the combo of the boat, motor, trailer, fuel and anything else that adds to the weight that is on the trailer.

If that weight is under 3000lbs then brakes are not needed. If it is above 3000lbs then brakes are required on each axle.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
X-Shark (1/25/2010)
im sure my boat is under 3klbs
It's not the boat. It's the combo of the boat, motor, trailer, fuel and anything else that adds to the weight that is on the trailer.

If that weight is under 3000lbs then brakes are not needed. If it is above 3000lbs then brakes are required on each axle.
Im in no way saying your wrong Bobby...but i know for my 18' Car Hauler im only required to have breaks on one axle for over 3000lbs. i want to say its up around 8k or 10k that its required on all axles but like i said...i could be wrong. oh and car hauler is rated for 7k

·
Registered
555 Posts
Here is the link to the statute for all the forum lawyers to chime in on. Sorta sounds like just another derailed thread to me.<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoPlainText>http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC261.HTM&Title=-%3E2004-%3ECh0316-%3ESection%20261<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoPlainText><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoPlainText><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>:banghead</o:p>

·
Registered
95 Posts
wflgator (1/26/2010)Here is the link to the statute for all the forum lawyers to chime in on. Sorta sounds like just another derailed thread to me.<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoPlainText>http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC261.HTM&Title=-%3E2004-%3ECh0316-%3ESection%20261<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoPlainText><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoPlainText><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>:banghead</o:p>

The Statute can be read differently. Article 1, which preceeds Article 3, reads that the combination of your vehicle and the trailer "shall be equipped with service brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold such vehicle under all conditions of loading, and on any grade incident to its operation." A tandem axle trailer carrying a average sized-bay boat or ski boat, in addition to the brakes on the towing vehicle, would be more than capable of stopping and holding said vehicles.

Article 3 is where the "all wheels" verbiage shows up. And not supporting the breaking of any laws, BUT.... have you ever heard of an individual having the brakes on their trailer inspected by a Law Enforcement officer?? There is no jurisdiction that is out there looking at trailer brakes. Further, if one did get found not having brakes on ALL wheels, it would result in a non-moving, non traffic violation with a $500 fine. Most trailer companies out there will build a trailer built sans brakes, or with just one set (say on a tandem or even triple), per the Owner's request WITH a signed waiver that the Owner assumes all responsibility.

Just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
X-Shark (1/26/2010)According to Brad @ Hi Tech Marine.

http://www.aluminumboattrailer.com/contact.html

This came into affect several years ago.

Now a trailer manufacture you would think....keeps up with the laws as to how it affects his business.

Simply stating that you can go to ANY boat trailer manufacturers website and see where they do NOT list brakes as a standard feature, but an OPTIONAL feature. Many sites for these manufacturers will include a disclaimer that any dealer or individual who opts to deviate from the State Statutes will assume full responsibility in regards to the law.

Further, if you read Item a2 under Article 3 which says you must have brakes on ALL WHEELS... it reads that the exception is... "The combination of vehicles, consisting of the towing vehicle and its total towed load, is capable of complying with the performance requirements of s. 316.262."

I would bet $$ that you could call up Hi-Tech and ask them for pricing on a tandem with one set of brakes and they would be happy to oblige. Check out MagicTilt... Performance... Road King... etc... etc... you will see that they have tandem trailers with one set of brakes for sale, as well as the tandems with brakes on all wheels, or a disclosure statement. NONE will list brakes as a Standard, and thus required, component.

All in all, it comes down to what the customer wants. A believe it or not, a HIGH percentage of boat trailer purchasers do NOT want to spend the extra three to six hundred dollars to add an additional set of brakes. Law or no law.

Not trying to stir any pots and create any drama... simply stating the reality of it all. Thanks for listening.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts