Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I am a dealer for a major trailer manufacture and in Feb 2005 they sent me a letter referencing the above Florida Statute requiring brakes on all axles for trailers with a GVWR over 3000 lbs. As of that date they would not ship a trailer to a Florida dealer without Brakes meeting this requirement.

This was the result of a law suit over a fatal accident. During the suit, the plantiff's attorney claimed that, had the trailer involved had brakes, the accident may not have occurred. As a result, the owner of the trailer, the dealer that sold it to him, and the manufacture were held responsible.

Bottomline is, it's your trailer, truck, and insurance, so you make the choice. Your insurance may be worthless if you are involved in an accident and your trailer in not in compliance.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Knot a Yacht (10/18/2007)My question is this. Are trailers that were manufactured prior to the new law grandfathered in? Or are people supposed to be putting brakes on their trailers that are not conforming to the new law no matter what the age of the trailer.

Jon
It is apparently grandfathered. I havetwo customers that bought trailers from a FWB Dealer. One trailer only has brakes on one axle and the other has none. The trailers were supposedly manufactured before Jan 05.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.