Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to do some work to my trailer this winter, It is a 6 year old magic tilt dual axle. I have tried very hard to take care of it but the rotors are shot. the axle are UFP torsion type. So here is a question for you all, can those UFP torsion arms be remover from the axle, or taken off with out damaging the spline on the axle. If you have done this before give me some advice. the axle itself looks good and the lower part of arm (the part where the brake caliper is bolted) looks good. it is just the pinch bolt part of the arm that looks real bad.
one of the deal is i dont have place to put the boat for more that a day or so.
also if any of you do this for a living let me know.
The picture of the arm is what i am wanting to replace.
Thanks for any suggestion

Tgreen

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Eddie English Boat Trailer in Pace/Milton. Give them a call. Just replaced one of my axle’s and brake caliper brackets with them. They’ll do you right.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I talked to Eddie earlier this summer.
Can Eddie or anyone else give me his address,pm would be fine.
I will call before I show up.
I am about 50 miles away so want to know where I am going,etc.

Never mind, I found his website with directions....

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
It’s going to be about the same price to replace the whole axel.i tried to save a customer some money by doing this and it just wasn’t cost effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update . I was going over to Port st Joe for the last weekend of scallops, and took a look at my axles. I did not want to make that trip with the condition they are in. So I started looking on line. Magic tilt sell parts and about the best price, but you have to pay shipping. I think i just going to get the whole assemble and I should be able to do it in my drive way. But one thing about those axles, the have a dip in the middle and it collect water and rust. I ask the MT part person and he told me the new ones have a hole to drain water. I am thinking about putting a hose barb on top of the new axle to flush the inside, also may pour rust prevention paint or something into the axle, maybe get a few more years out of it. T green

·
Registered
204 Posts
I made the same repair a few years ago and it wasn't bad at all. A grinder, impact wrench and safety glasses were my friend. My axles only lasted a couple years before they started to rust Ion th e center, so I th ink th e galvanizing sucked. The drain holes work but they rusted all around it. I have a buddy that did his and "painted" grease on his and his are still fine. His are ugly, but not rusty.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Don't flush the inside of an axle seal it from water. Standing water will rust. Remember H2O oxidation. Rust prevention with a substance like cosmoline will work to seal an axle externally. Seal it when new and periodically check it for debree like small rocks hitting it while trailering on the roads.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
There is a alternative to that dip in the axle that holds water. Fill it in.

A piece of say......1/8in thick plastic cut to fit that spot and silicone it in. If it's covered ans sealed.....Water can't lay there.

·
Registered
218 Posts
UFP are some of the cheapest torsion axles on the market today. They only have one thing going for them and that is the CONCEPT that you can easily replace the torsion arm when you bend a spindle, or screw it up from bearing failure. After about 6 month in a salt environment you will see what I mean, the arm is not galvanized and the bolt is not stainless steel, so everything becomes welded. One of the better axles is Dexter Axles (that is who UFP axles compare themselves to) it is much easier to replacing the spindle arms, because they are galvanized and the bolt is stainless steel, so it's easier to remove. They also Galvanize the inter axle attached to the galvanized torsion arm and the inside and out of the axle tube that is rusting. For what it's worth, much better axle but a little more money......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I may of screw up but I got new axles with UFP arms. So, here is what i did: first the axle have a droop in the middle and hold a little water. so i got some Por-15 and a turkey injector and put a bunch inside the axle. let it dry and did it again. I painted the por15 on the arms. twice. painted the endcaps of the axle, put them on the trailer and went over the entire Assembly again, heavy coat. after it dried sprayed cold dip galvanized paint over it. then some auto silver paint to make it look better. then sprayed the hold thing inside and out with CRCmarine corrosion (cosmoline) over it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not sure weather the axle will let in water from the end caps but i am going to seal up the small drain holes, and will check to see if water come in. also since I travel to Port st Joe and there is no place to wash down I am gong to carry a bug sprayer with salt away and water to help kept the rust down. keep you all posted on how it hole up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got to do some work to my trailer this winter, It is a 6 year old magic tilt dual axle. I have tried very hard to take care of it but the rotors are shot. the axle are UFP torsion type. So here is a question for you all, can those UFP torsion arms be remover from the axle, or taken off with out damaging the spline on the axle. If you have done this before give me some advice. the axle itself looks good and the lower part of arm (the part where the brake caliper is bolted) looks good. it is just the pinch bolt part of the arm that looks real bad.
one of the deal is i dont have place to put the boat for more that a day or so.
also if any of you do this for a living let me know.
The picture of the arm is what i am wanting to replace.
Thanks for any suggestion

Tgreen
Replaced mine last winter, wasn't bad at all. Soak them down with some WD-40 the night before. Take a sharpie or an awl and make a mark on the spindle so you can get the trailing angle right on the new hubs. Remove the pinch bolt, you cannot just loosen it.. Then, use a gear puller to remove the old hub. I had to use a chisel as a wedge on the back side of the hub to get them started and make enough room for the puller arms, after that they came right off. There is a centering groove on the spindle for the pinch bolt, so it aligns itself when installing the new hub. Good Luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts