Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
perfect quartering away shot at about 18 yards. you can see my lock-on in the pine tree behind this guy. couple questions - think they'll still be velvet in N. okaloosa in another 3 or 4 weeks? and do you think this dude's a 3 yr old? if the wife will cooperate that'd be fine first bowkill for her. weird looking young 7 pt. behind him is probably gonna walk this year.

·
Super Moderator
27,946 Posts
My buck last year was still in velvet last year, and I am almost as far North Okaloosa you can get w/ out being in Bama. Got a good possibility it may still be in it. I have a small buck here at the house that is almostout of velvet so it will depend on a case by case...good luck to her on the kill, I'd love ta kill that un too!!!:letsdrink

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Nice.

We've got a few that are still in velvet, some that are shedding and some that are done. all north of Milton.

I'd guess he'd shed by then but you never know.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Nice deer, butI am not convinced that it is a 3.5 year old deer. It may only be 2.5, which would make it a great deer next year.

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
Chances are he will start loosing his velvet within the next week or so. I got a picture of a deer starting to shed his velvet and Im just a little north of you.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies guys. i was kindahoping the velvet would be still be there, but it sounds like 2 1/2 more weeks, or longer, is too long. we'll keep our fingers crossed. maybe luck up like jason mentioned above.

i agree with the statement that he'll be a good deer next year. i was thinking he was 3 1/2 though. i think the buck next to him is 2 1/2. he's noticeably smaller but the rack is bigger than a 1 yr old would be. maybe i'm wrong though. could both be 2 and the 8 is just a bigger deer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic but when you get pictures of him & his velvet starts turning white then he is fixing to come out of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts