Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Please wear your PFD when out fishing<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: black">Kayak fishing is a great sport all year around, if you take the right precautions. Guard against the cold and wear a PFD. <SPAN style="COLOR: #1f5080"><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: #1f5080"><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: black">Two young men didn?t do that yesterday while fishing out of a canoe. Yes, I know this is the kayak forum, but we all flip them too. <SPAN style="COLOR: #1f5080"><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: #1f5080"><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: black">I was on the ESAR mission that spent over 7 hours while we recovered a boater?s remains. The person had difficulty swimming and wasn?t wearing his lifejacket <SPAN style="COLOR: #1f5080"><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: #1f5080"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: black"><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: black">Thanks to one of our PFF members, Clint Retherford, Commander of the Dive Team for Escambia Search And Rescue, aka <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">no woryz[/B], and his crew, for the recovery. <o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: #1f5080"><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: black">It is hard to see such a sad family because of such a simple thing as putting on that PFD.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Larry and thanks for all that you do in support of the ESAR team and our community... I also appreciate your post about PFD's and I hope it will serve as a grim reminder to all of us of how important life is... to ourselves, but more importantly our family that may be left behind....

Please let me add you your post...I myself am guilty of kayaking and having my life jacket bungeed downbut "out of my way" and I often felt it was a bother to have it because nothing like this would ever happen to me. I hope that we all see that a life jacket nearby will not save your life if you are unable to reach it in your desparate time of need. Please consider your loved ones as you toss that jacket in the storage compartment.. PFD'd will save your life......

Thanks and be safe....

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Only once when I went out kayaking did I bungee down my flotation vest. I did not like the feeling of doing that the whole time out that day. I fish a lot and have a type of floatation jacket that has pockets, etc. It is a very functional tool for storing things and the safety it provides in case I flip. I have had a couple close calls on flipping, but have not yet. If this ever occurs, I know I will be glad I had it on for the extra bouyancy it will provide.

I recommend all kayaks always wear their life jacket at all time while on the water. You just never know what can happen, and things do happen in such a small craft environment like a kayak.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I am guilty of bungee my PFD to the back knowing it was not wise. Not anymore, I just ordered a Life Vest with pockets on it. :usaflag

·
Registered
179 Posts
yeah i saw the fire trucks and police vehicles monday i think...the first thing that came to mind was a kayaker....good to know everybody is ok though...i where my PFD religously..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts