Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Oh, and Jason, its not getting past the breakers that you need to worry about. Its the coming in part! Thats when it can get interesting. I just picked up a new PA14 and my first time in it is going to be Saturday. Should be fun.
Yeah I plan on a cold swim in with my pa Sat

·
Registered
21 Posts
Plan on trying to bust through the breakers in my outback. But all this talk of crazy cobia fishermen has me thinking that maybe I should reconsider. Had thought about getting out there and trying the inshore thing first, but the thought of loading and unloading (by myself) that many times in a day exhausted me before i got started.

·
Tangle Master
3,308 Posts
I have already learned one thing about coming in on breakers. Make sure your rudder is centered! The last trip it was sporty coming in. I jumped off in 3' water and walked it in and the Mariner was turned hard left the whole time. Then I saw the rudder handle when i pulled it onto the sand.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Oh, and Jason, its not getting past the breakers that you need to worry about. Its the coming in part! Thats when it can get interesting. I just picked up a new PA14 and my first time in it is going to be Saturday. Should be fun.

oh no JD drank the coolaid... Ya I think I;m going to look down the beach for the better sand bar gap and head out - if it's too bad I'll swim it out... Brrr 50's in the AM!

Offshore for me - Like Drew said you are best to have a decent hole and fish it all day then try and run and gun in a yak (where running is 4mph..) take a VHF and hail the cobe boats if they get too close... I bet Navarre parking lot will look like the rigging clinic at 0545...

As for swimming it in - pull your rudder up swing it around and hang onto the bow handle going in - SOooooo much easier... I bet it'll be about as big as this launch.... Never ever stop once you commit to heading out...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not really familiar with the Gulf Breeze area. Where is the Hooters located that the captain's meeting is being held at? Got a hit on google maps, but when i zoomed in I didn't see it, or it wasnt labeled. Somebody wanna tell me what it's close to?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
When you come through the toll bridge start looking left. Be on your left between .25 and .5 mile. If you go through the light you've gone to far.

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
i think i would be more inclined to go offshore if i didnt have to PADDLE through that rough surf. jealous...
I find paddling easier. I'm debating on taking the Prowler instead of the Outback. But I prefer king fishing hands free, so who knows

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
I find paddling easier. I'm debating on taking the Prowler instead of the Outback. But I prefer king fishing hands free, so who knows
Hardest thing about paddling is getting into the kayak holding the paddle, after that it's gravy. Gives you a way to keep your balance if a wave gets a little angle on you

21 - 40 of 51 Posts