Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't stop thinkin about it! Bubbling with anticipation!

Anybody wanna talk about their strategy come Saturday morning? Y'all using live bait or artificials for this thing?

I'll tell ya my plan. Ima shove off with (hopefully) a bucket full of live bait. Drop anchor on a proven honeyhole (tho it's yet to prove a damn thing THIS year) and soak the biggest baits in the bucket while sippin on some ice cold miller lite. If they come to me, they come to me. When I get bored of that, Ima drift around aimlessly, casting money minnows, mirrodines, sluggos and such. If none of that works (or if it does early) Ima head offshore with hopes of snagging a toothy critter before the weigh-in. If it all goes as planned...happy happy happy.

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
Similar plan for me. Got a couple spots to work in the morning while the wind is gonna be kicking, hope to get a couple inshore species to weigh. Then gonna head offshore and try to find a king and maybe a pure luck cobia. Hope the boat traffic isn't too high

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Do the exact opposite of last year!! I launched in 4 different spots. This year I am unloading once. Gonna fish a mix of artificials and live bait. Maybe just maybe drink a cold unit or six! Good luck to everyone fishing!

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flatspro said:
Do the exact opposite of last year!! I launched in 4 different spots. This year I am unloading once. Gonna fish a mix of artificials and live bait. Maybe just maybe drink a cold unit or six! Good luck to everyone fishing!
Well...since I didn't win a thing last year, Ima do the same thing and hope for opposite results lol. I've scouted all over and my plan A seems as good as any. Maybe this week's weather will pretty things up a bit.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I've tried six different spots int the last four days and worked yesterday and today I'm beat and dissapointes right now but screw it I know what ima do I'm just gonna fish and of it works out good but if not ima have a good time trying. Side note I did get my first red of the year yesterday he was a whole 8 inches.lol good luck to everybody

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I launched twice last year but this year I'm going to probably launch once and work an area where I've caught fish and hopefully get lucky. I'll use artificial and maybe cast net some live. I plan to keep moving until I die of exhaustion or catch some fish.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Since I live near the eastern boundary I plan to start there and fish my way west until I get to Shoreline park. The number of launches along the way will depend on how successful the previous location was. See everyone at the weigh-in.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
No real strategy I just plan on treating it like any normal day and just fishn4fun maybe ill get lucky and have a good day or maybe ill just have to drink beer and watch everyone else weigh their fish.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Similar plan for me. Got a couple spots to work in the morning while the wind is gonna be kicking, hope to get a couple inshore species to weigh. Then gonna head offshore and try to find a king and maybe a pure luck cobia. Hope the boat traffic isn't too high
Well this year the tourny is on the busiest cobia fishing day of the year. At least 4 cobia tournaments this weekend and with the recent reports every idiot with a boat will be cruising close to the beach. Be careful trolling close to the beach, I almost had my lines run over several times.

As far as my strategy, I'm fishing offshore for big fish and thats all I have to say lol.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I hope you catch some fish then!

Yeah really just going to take it easy and have a good day of fishing all day. All my trips lately I'm off the water by 1000. Now since you have your new yak, why don't u make a showing and visit your house for the tax write off and come fish with the reel gimp????

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Yeah really just going to take it easy and have a good day of fishing all day. All my trips lately I'm off the water by 1000. Now since you have your new yak, why don't u make a showing and visit your house for the tax write off and come fish with the reel gimp????
I wish I could haha but with deployment on the horizon any leave has to be spent with my pregnant wife . I dont think should would apreciate it if i took leave to fish and not see her lol

If i was fishing it though id fish inshore at one location till about 10 am then offshore ...

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've got my day planned already. Launching between 4&5 because I've got a lot of pedalling to do for my first spot. It should pay off and hope to load back up by 7 or 8 to go get my flounder. Fortunately my buddy came across a flounder hole that's loaded up already so I should be good on that! I'm just hoping that the specks and reds want to cooperate too! It sucks that I have a really busy week at school this week, I barely have time to prefish. Gut Instinct will have to pay off!

·
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14
940 Posts
Ill fish one spot for a few hours hopefully stick a red and flounder then, off to the trout grounds! Hopefully i wont have to peddle the entire way (which is almost 11miles) before i stick a fish so the "Drink a beer technique" will be in full effect come saturday!

·
Registered
358 Posts
i am planning on fishing for the 'pair' out of pensacola, so no real secret spots. my 'spots' are big, steel and green and red and have numbers on them. lol. but, after fishing the SKA for so many years, i'm hoping the techniques, bait and equipment might make the difference. there's a couple of the ol time guys on here who were/are regulars in the kingfish tournaments who know what i mean. and with all the cobia reports, you guys got my knees knockin for a ling. maybe i'll run a hardtail across one and fortune will smile on me.
with that said, i am brining my inshore tackle should the weather look less than perfect for me. im a fair weather troller.

i see several of you guys with a very good game plan. you dont have to listen to my 'wisdom', but coming from a seasoned tournament angler, let me just offer up that when fishing a kayak tournament (we will fish 23 tournaments this year), we almost never re-launch. this event is unique in that it is a long fishing day, and there is a little more time for it, and since in pensacola trout and redfish may or may not be in the same area as flounder, it is not a hard and fast rule, but if you follow any kayak tournament anglers who are consistent, you will find the same thing to be true. spend your time with lures in the water. advice is free, take it at that value. :cool:

cheers.
drew

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I hope to find bait. No hardtails for us yet and no cigs larger then three inches. After that its same ole same ole. May fish inshore in the AM though.

Im NOT looking forward to the 6871236523497 jack asses in cobia boats that will be out on Saturday. Maybe GCKFA can contact the cobia tournaments and give them a heads up about us.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I hope to find bait. No hardtails for us yet and no cigs larger then three inches. After that its same ole same ole. May fish inshore in the AM though.

Im NOT looking forward to the 6871236523497 jack asses in cobia boats that will be out on Saturday. Maybe GCKFA can contact the cobia tournaments and give them a heads up about us.
Yea someone should check on that especially if the waves are gonna be up easy to not be seen inbetween sets

1 - 20 of 51 Posts