Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes sir ! That ought to make a fine fish fry !

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
When that boat gets its spot lock it's gonna be bad lol.Just hope it's quieter than the piece that's on it now. They run from it at 40 foot they spook and haul tail. Makes it hard in the wind.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You single poling or pushing?
Single poleing. I'm still learning the whole forward image thing.It's blowing my mind how spooky fish are.Never would have guessed how quick they notice you and get lock Jaw. I thought I knew some what how fish reacted to to a boat and trolling motor DAMN SO WRONG!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it your prop making the noise or is it the electric motor ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I have no Idea I can't hear it.Maybe just a vibration or trying to crappie fish from a 22 foot blazer bay. They damn sure know I'm there and you can see them react. The only way I can get them to bite is to find structure at 60 foot are farther drift into it and catch a few on the way. Touch the trolling motor they vacate the structure and most people know a fish on the retreat will not even look at a bait.But then again these waters up here are fished hard so it may not be as bad other places

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
12,922 Posts
Its a motorguide great white.Tiller steer but it will be gone soon
The motor very well could be spooking them. May just be something as simple as a prop squeak or some kind of funky harmonic noise in the motor itself. I say the boat size isn’t a problem because I have buddies down here that single pole from 24’ aluminum boats and there are more 21fters perch fishing than I can count.

They’re very sensitive to vibrations. I have seen days when pushing and they would hit jigs with a round 1/8 oz (round being the key word) splitshot above the jig but completely ignore the same jig beside it with a 1/8oz (reusable) splitshot above the jig. Simple vibrations and harmonics in the water is all it is. Then on the other side is a rod with a 1oz egg weight above the same jig catching fish.

I always trim my big motor up to where only the skeg is in the water also. I don’t have any proof it matters but it always made me feel better.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Like Joey said, probably not the boat. Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend have many guides and locals who crappie fish out of party barges. Not that you can’t make noises on the boat to spook them. I know the Great White I had was louder than the XI5 I now have. That 3 blade machete prop was noisy when put in reverse.
When attempting to fish a top, I ease to within 15-20 yards away then stop and sit for a few minutes. Let things settle then slowly bump closer. If trolling and find a new top, i come back to it later using same method.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Like Joey said, probably not the boat. Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend have many guides and locals who crappie fish out of party barges. Not that you can’t make noises on the boat to spook them. I know the Great White I had was louder than the XI5 I now have. That 3 blade machete prop was noisy when put in reverse.
When attempting to fish a top, I ease to within 15-20 yards away then stop and sit for a few minutes. Let things settle then slowly bump closer. If trolling and find a new top, i come back to it later using same method.
It’s probably the trolling motor even on the lowest setting. I see the fish leavening the structure 30 to 40 foot before I get there. Thinking back now if there is no wind and I can just sit they will actually start to gather under the boat.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It’s probably the trolling motor even on the lowest setting. I see the fish leavening the structure 30 to 40 foot before I get there. Thinking back now if there is no wind and I can just sit they will actually start to gather under the boat.
Joey thanks for the info and sc1006 to.I went down to the shop tonight fired up a couple of trolling motors. Motors on all real close to the same sound. But then started checking props. Lot of rock up here lol. The motor out of the water makes little to no noise but its beat all to hell blades mushroomed and not the same length(never noticed). This may(I hope) Be the problem just for educational purposes I'm going to see. I put a mic on it ground and sanded it man it was all out of whack. I know I could have just bought a new one but it was something to play with. Thanks Joey!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts