Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven’t posted in a while since I couldn’t get on my previous username, so I made a new one. Been out a few times the past week or so for the last hour of daylight, and the Topwater bite has been absolutely insane! I don’t throw Topwater much, since I have much better hookups with subsurface walkers(Twitchin Minnow, Water Monitor) and still get to enjoy the explosion. Went out with one rod with my trusty Sammy 105 painted in blue mullet pattern, and put it to work.

First evening was disappointing. Caught some really nice fish, but missed 3 massive explosions that were hard to get out of my head. Went back the next night, and put it all together. Didn’t miss a single bite all evening, and it was the best Topwater fishing I’ve ever been involved with.

First cast of the evening got destroyed by the biggest fish of the night, and she was a giant. Somewhere around 6 casts later, another giant blew it up right at the bow of the kayak, and the bite was only getting started. The next 45 minutes were crazy. Caught another 8 fish between 22-24” and several slot fish. Right as I was getting ready to leave, another monster blew it up right at the kayak. Ended up with 3 over 27” and a load of solid fish. What an insane hour of fishing! The key to hooking up with these fish was to give a second or two longer pause than normal before setting the hook hard. That delay made a huge difference, and noticing that was needed put these fish in the boat.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Without being too specific, what is the general area that you find those monsters? Water depth, cover, etc? Amazing catch.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Good grief, those are some giants! You went for a ride.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Without being too specific, what is the general area that you find those monsters? Water depth, cover, etc? Amazing catch.
Sorry, I usually try to do a better job of that. With these super hot temps, depth doesn’t make much difference if you have the other ingredients. These fish were all caught in 2’, but more importantly I look for areas with strong current(every bank has areas where the current flows more than others), some kind of cover to sit and ambush from(docks are great cover) and lots of bait. These things together make feeding opportunities easy in the heat.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Big bait, big fish.

Reactions: JeffBfishing

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Thanks for the info. I wanted to try this evening but boat traffic and the heat got me. Maybe mid-week since I'm in "corn-teen" since my wife's card coven has the COVID. No better way to socially distance than on the bay boat!

Reactions: JeffBfishing

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,932 Posts
OP, haven't seen you post in quite awhile. You still slaying them!!!
Thanks for the report and techniques.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Oh My God!
If I caught a Speck that big I would shat my britches!,

Nicely done sir, please keep posting those.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP, haven't seen you post in quite awhile. You still slaying them!!!
Thanks for the report and techniques.
Jason tried to help me get my old password changed and we never got it worked out. Gave up for a while and this time it allowed me to make a new account. Definitely still out there chasing those gators around, nothing I’d rather fish for in this area!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts