Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My neighbor stops by a lot when I’m down at my shop. He has been wanting me to take him fishing for a while. He stopped by late in the afternoon at the beginning of the the week. We were talking about fishing and I said well hell let’s go. Jumped in the truck that stays hooked to the boat 15 min later we were in the water and fishing. Caught a few before it got dark then hit 2 dock lights that I have been leaving alone one had a couple next was loaded .Kept our limit so he could have some for the freezer. I know we caught over a hundred best trip I have ever been on for crappie.
Food Seafood Cuisine Fish Wood

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
Jigs have not used a minnow scene last fall. I have about figured out how they want it presented were they can't help but bite.
You care to share that jig tidbit of info with the group?

Reactions: SurfRidr and jack2

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
i've had good luck with white grub with a white head and black eyes
jack

Reactions: SurfRidr

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You care to share that jig tidbit of info with the group?
Why yes of coarse. Ok So here goes Bobby garland slab slayer in electric chicken seems to be the top performer here. Red glitter head 1\16 to about 5 foot 3/16 to about 10 and 1/8 for deeper they like for the bait to almost suspend in the water column where their suspending.Less movement the better. The slab slayer profile defiantly out performs anything else i have tried

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wish you lived beside me
Joey I wanted to ask you a question. These crappie on this lake spread out and suspend during the daytime from the surface down to where ever the thermocline is. I just ordered some small planer boards and want to try my hand at that. I know you wreckem pushing. But do You have any experience with this stye?

·
Premium Member
13,550 Posts
Joey I wanted to ask you a question. These crappie on this lake spread out and suspend during the daytime from the surface down to where ever the thermocline is. I just ordered some small planer boards and want to try my hand at that. I know you wreckem pushing. But do You have any experience with this stye?
I don’t. I tried the long line method on a few occasions and caught a few fish but I couldn’t develop any kind of confidence in it because I can’t control bait depth like I can when pushing. But these Perch down here where I fish don’t read the internet. What works in places north of here just doesn’t work here and vice versa. I’m a bait pusher when it comes to perch. I would definitely try it and form your own opinion. Just because I couldnt make it work here doesn’t mean it won’t work for you there.

·
Premium Member
13,550 Posts
Something I would recommend trying if they are that deep is pushing with a 1oz egg weight about 30” in front of your jig. No knots needed just run the line through the egg weight hole 5 times and it will stay put and you will retain line breaking strength. In the winter when the water gets cold enough down here, I use to whack em pretty good with that rig.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don’t. I tried the long line method on a few occasions and caught a few fish but I couldn’t develop any kind of confidence in it because I can’t control bait depth like I can when pushing. But these Perch down here where I fish don’t read the internet. What works in places north of here just doesn’t work here and vice versa. I’m a bait pusher when it comes to perch. I would definitely try it and form your own opinion. Just because I couldnt make it work here doesn’t mean it won’t work for you there.
Something I would recommend trying if they are that deep is pushing with a 1oz egg weight about 30” in front of your jig. No knots needed just run the line through the egg weight hole 5 times and it will stay put and you will retain line breaking strength. In the winter when the water gets cold enough down here, I use to whack em pretty good with that rig.
Thanks. I see depth being a problem This is what I was thinking. If use a planner and run a 1/16 jig and a egg sinker as a down rigger I will be able to see that egg sinker with no problem with forward sonar at least to a hundred feet. Something to play with anyway.

·
Premium Member
13,550 Posts
Thanks. I see depth being a problem This is what I was thinking. If use a planner and run a 1/16 jig and a egg sinker as a down rigger I will be able to see that egg sinker with no problem with forward sonar at least to a hundred feet. Something to play with anyway.
Its all just a big experiment. You’ll eventually find a method that spikes your confidence and that’ll be your go-to. And even then, you’ll still find yourself trying different kinds of crazy stuff.
Damn Fishermans curse I guess. We always want more. Lol

1 - 20 of 42 Posts