Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the opportunity to take a TV crew from the Orlando area out today to "see the oil!" I left Pensacola pass with VK 252 entered as a waypoint and hoped we would not see anything before then. Unfortunately, roughly 5 miles from VK124 we noticed the "sheen", which to me is not as bad as Chico on a low tide, but we had to stop and film that. About 3-4 miles later, just this side of VK 124, we saw it. It being the oil. The best way to describe wha we saw is to say, it looked like a dirty tide lineacross the bay. Except instead of dirty bay water and suds, its oil.What we saw looks like brown mud and was formed in a line running to the north, or just west of north. Theoil was full ofjelllies, the ones that are shaped like a big pecan, but they were dried out and hard from sitting on top of the oil and baked. There were man-o-wars everywhere but they seemed to be fine. We did see a sun fish on our way there and a turtle andthey were also fine.

I realized what I saw was just the tip of what is tofollow, but it pissed me off that Idid not see ONE boat pulling boomor trying to contain it. It would be easy to trap what I saw and burn it as it was a narrow straight line of crap. That SH%Twas 24 miles south of Ft Morgan and I was 47 miles from P'cola pass. Hopefullythe powers to be willnot waist any more IDEAL daysbefore they put us to work!

Sorry Ido not have pics, it was very spur of the moment and my camera wasat the house! The cameraguys sent me a email saying it could be found at www.wftv.com, but I have not even looke yet, seen enough.

PS there was some guy fishing at VK124, we told hhim the oil was only a mileaway, and he said, dont worry these cobia are coming from FLA! He also said he was only 17 miles out. I hope they show that part of the video, it was hilarious!

Quint

·
Fishing Goddess
1,072 Posts
incredible! we're so screwed...as well as everyone else on the gulf coast including the wildlife...dammit man...disheartening...:crying...not to say the sky is falling but, this ain't looking too good for the home team...never in my almost 52 years has something like this....not even camille, frederick, opal, erin or ivan will come close to this...i sure hope i'm wrong...

mike

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Awesome video Quint! Glad you had theopportunityto get them out there. Thanx for sharing.

By the way, in another post I put up, NY Times rports BP says it may be 60,000 barrels a day, more that 10 times the current estimates.

Heres the post.

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/Topic565411.aspx

Not to derail your post, just showing that you really have to see thisrealistically. Regardless of oil slick size...X amount of oil is in the Gulf. Weather on the surface, suspended, on the bottom, or still making it's way to the surface. It will eventually be here. To what extent is anybodies guess

1 - 4 of 4 Posts