Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to this yak fishing thing and wanted to know what’s “too windy” to be out on the water and does wind direction play a difference. I’m looking at days to go out and it’s like 17-25 mph winds. I’ll be going out alone so don’t wanna risk it if it’s gonna be super choppy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Just because it is the weekend, you don't "Have to go."

Fishing is supposed to be fun. Wind makes yakin' less fun and more dangerous. I've probably said this a thousand times: "It is a lot better to sit on the hill, wishing you were out fishing than to be out fishing, wishing you were on the hill." You can substitute safer for better in the above phrase.

Fish safe water in safe conditions until you become confident in your ability. Leave the tackle and everything else on the bank while you practice flipping the yak and re-entry.

Don't leave anything to luck. Sometimes luck just ain't there for you. I'll post an article/tip on the Boating and Fishing Tip board that might give you some pointers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fishing is supposed to be fun. Wind makes yakin' less fun and more dangerous. I've probably said this a thousand times: "It is a lot better to sit on the hill, wishing you were out fishing than to be out fishing, wishing you were on the hill." You can substitute safer for better in the above phrase.

Fish safe water in safe conditions until you become confident in your ability. Leave the tackle and everything else on the bank while you practice flipping the yak and re-entry.

Don't leave anything to luck. Sometimes luck just ain't there for you. I'll post an article/tip on the Boating and Fishing Tip board that might give you some pointers.

Thanks man. Yea being a novice I pretty much look for super calm days to go out which just so happen to usually be when I’m at work lol

·
Registered
400 Posts
Are you talking about going offshore? If so then yes you absolutely have to pick your days and 20 mph winds should keep you at home. If you're talking about inshore not so much.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you talking about going offshore? If so then yes you absolutely have to pick your days and 20 mph winds should keep you at home. If you're talking about inshore not so much.

Yea I only fish the sound since I live in gulf Breeze

·
Registered
421 Posts
I look for 10 mph or less in terms of wind speed but will cheat up a few mph if the wind speed is lower during adjacent time periods. Be aware of wind direction if you go offshore

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I look for 10 mph or less in terms of wind speed but will cheat up a few mph if the wind speed is lower during adjacent time periods. Be aware of wind direction if you go offshore

Thanks for the tips. I try to look for 12 or less myself but most days when the wind is that calm I’m at work

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
Try to find different areas that will allow you to have wind brake for most winds. I fished Saturday with gusts over 25 and still was able to stay safe and catch fish in my yak.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try to find different areas that will allow you to have wind brake for most winds. I fished Saturday with gusts over 25 and still was able to stay safe and catch fish in my yak.

Yea I found a few canals in gulf Breeze I want to try out.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
Yea I found a few canals in gulf Breeze I want to try out.

That might work for a few times but fish are in transition now and if the cool snaps will stop they will be on the flats in no time at all now. So look for other areas as well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That might work for a few times but fish are in transition now and if the cool snaps will stop they will be on the flats in no time at all now. So look for other areas as well.

Yea I’m still trying to figure that out as far as what to look for with grass flats and all of that stuff. Hopefully I’ll be on it soon lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts