Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I hunt both. Now that I am dragging my son along, I focus more on private because it’s easier to manage the people variables.
Only hair raising experience I ever had on public, was when I came very close to shooting a guy. I was walking back(way back off the river) and an 8 come trotting towards me. He stopped broadside at about 25 yds and I shot and missed. Deer went to running again and since I had missed, I figured my scope was off and didn’t follow up with another shot. Just a few seconds later, a guy pops out in the direction I had shot. Turns out he was walking out and bumped the deer. I never saw him but I most definitely shot in his direction. We had no idea either of us were where we were. Scared the crap out of me.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Man watching y'all talk about taking kids on public land makes me wonder how my pops did it.😂 (sarcasm) He has been dragging me along on public land hunts since I was 8 and I started bow hunting them when I was 12.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Folks never walk in on me at night.
Exactly.

And, if I’m hunting private land in the afternoon for example. I decide for whatever reason to get down and walk out right at deer-thirty, I don’t have to worry about someone shooting me or looking at me through a scope to see what that movement or noise is.

I bet you could get plenty of stats to back up the dangers of hunting private land. Don’t get me wrong, I think having public land is great and many of y’all impress me by the kills y’all make.

Just remember, many of those idiots you see on the roads or in everyday life are hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Y'all just keep on believing people don't walk up on you on private land.....

·
Bearded Brotula
14,508 Posts
Y'all just keep on believing people don't walk up on you on private land.....
I had a shitbag neighbor down the road fire one off within 100 yds of me. He was poaching and didn't think anyone was in the woods.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
One of our pastures is about 700 acres. Sitting in a patch of oak trees dang near in the middle two years ago, watching a bunch of does feeding I dang near got blasted out of my stand by a shot and a poacher walked out from a thicket not 50 yards from me to get "his" doe. He had to be there when I walked in and had to know I was there. Didn't slow him down a bit. He's the only one I've ever called the DNR on and had him written up for trespassing.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Man watching y'all talk about taking kids on public land makes me wonder how my pops did it.😂 (sarcasm) He has been dragging me along on public land hunts since I was 8 and I started bow hunting them when I was 12.
I am going to have to make an assumption you are likely at least 28yo?

Public land is vastly different today than it was 20 years ago.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
When I really cared about hunting, private land, rattling antlers while on the ground concerned me some. I always wanted to know who was in the woods. I would shakes a small tree.

You always had to be careful turkey hunting. Growing up in the woods, the only person I personally knew that got killed hunting was turkey hunting on private land. Killed by a friend hunting with him.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I don't think any humans would be shot while hunting if they at the very least charged anyone that killed someone while hunting with manslaughter and put them away for a minimum of say 5 years. I've never pulled the trigger on gun without knowing exactly what I was shooting. People who shot at movement or a sound in the bushes without identifying what it is should be punished.

·
DROP TINE BUCK
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I don't think any humans would be shot while hunting if they at the very least charged anyone that killed someone while hunting with manslaughter and put them away for a minimum of say 5 years. I've never pulled the trigger on gun without knowing exactly what I was shooting. People who shot at movement or a sound in the bushes without identifying what it is should be punished.
This happens every year, for the life of me I dont see how....

NWTF is a SHAM! Change my mind!

·
Registered
960 Posts
I got my leg knocked out from under me crossing an open area by what I believe was a rifle bullet when hunting by myself. Never heard a shot but the Zippo lighter in my pocket was mushroomed and leaking when I got it out of my pocket. This happened in the middle of 400+ acres of private land.
Thank you Lord an inch in any direction and I probably wouldn’t be here.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I quit hunting for a few years only having public as an option..... I like knowing who is around me if any at all..... no worries the past many years ...... some real nuts out there that just sling lead with hopes of connecting

·
Registered
804 Posts
I am going to have to make an assumption you are likely at least 28yo?

Public land is vastly different today than it was 20 years ago.
Yeah I'm 28 years old. It hasn't seemed to change all that much from all the years I have have hunted it. Besides conservation getting better and seeing better quality animals in the places I tend to hunt.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I got my leg knocked out from under me crossing an open area by what I believe was a rifle bullet when hunting by myself. Never heard a shot but the Zippo lighter in my pocket was mushroomed and leaking when I got it out of my pocket. This happened in the middle of 400+ acres of private land.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or real. lol

·
Registered
3,832 Posts

Pic of lighter?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yeah I'm 28 years old. It hasn't seemed to change all that much from all the years I have have hunted it. Besides conservation getting better and seeing better quality animals in the places I tend to hunt.
Well I am jealous of your experience. Over here in Walton County and Bay County, there is no comparison to what it was like 20 years ago.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts