Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went by a buddies camp today to visit. He showed me the scope on his hunting rifle, the cross hairs were at a 45* angle. A couple of minutes he came out of his camp house with a rusty bolt action rifle. The plan was to take the scope of the rusty donor rifle, and install it on his hunting gun. I recognized the rusty as a 98 mauser action rifle. The gun was heavily rusted, but was a Belgium Browning 30-06. Within a couple of minutes, I'd swapped some work for the gun.
It gets better. A few minutes later, buddy came out and handed me a scope to go on ole rusty, dang! it was a 2-7 power leupold! And in nice condition. Yes, I thanked him. :yes:
What is the thinking here? Install a crappy china made scope, and give away a leupold?
I took ole rusty apart this afternoon. It's too far gone (deep pitting from rust) to make a nice rifle out of it, so I decided to sand it down and spray paint it camo. It's still a solid rifle.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Nice! Hard to beat an old Mauser. I have a buddy that swears by them. All he shoots. I'd have one to exept most of them are in odd calibers. 30-06 is a nice find!

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
So he gave you a rifle and scope in exchange for you installing a scope? That's crazy.
Sounds like your buddy doesn't know much about guns if he can't install a scope and gives away a Leupold. What brand was the scope you installed ?
All I can figure is that the installed scope had a higher power and he thought that was cool.

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trade was for some stump removal I did at his camp site. It was a fair trade for the rifle. The leupold was a bonus!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts