Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my dads decided it would be a good idea to set up a hog hunt in south florida with my grandpa and me. I checked out the guides website and they run dogs....i've hunted hogs on escambia quite a bit with shotguns and rifles. but i've never ran dogs....if i'm not mistaken the dogs are gonna pin the hog and then you finish it off.using a firearm in this situationdoesn't sound real sporting to me. but i was given the option to use a knife......so, should i do it "the barta way"?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Josh, When I was a kid and, my dad hog hunted with dogs they didn't kill them when the catch dog pinned them. The dog we had which was a Big white english bulldog would hold them down and, my Dad and his hunting buddieswould tie up the hog while it was pinned. Then take it home to feedit corn to take the wild taste out or fattin it up.I remember them getting one over325 Lbs. so I guess it was more for cleaning them out.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
I hunted in Texas several years ago and was given the option to knife a hog. It's a blast and real adrenalin rush. I recommend it. Just dont let him swing around and get you. You will truly see where the term "bleed like a stuck hog", comes from.

·
Super Moderator
28,497 Posts
Josh I tried to get a memberof the old forum to make me a spear point cause I wanna kill a deer w/ a spear! That would be something worth while too.... I'd probably stay away from a 300lb boar w/ a knife....now a 50-75lbr maybe.

·
Registered
314 Posts
When the dogs "pin down the hog", it's still got a lot of mobility. Sometimes they even attack the dogs! Unless you're after a 90 pound yearling piglet, I'd opt for the firearm. Unless they farm-feed these pigs, they're already going to taste gamey enough since the dogs are going to chase them, so it's probably best to not make that even worse. In addition, the only hog I've ever finished off with a knife, I had already paralyzed his back legs and he STILL almost took a chunk off of me. Best of luck to you. I despise dog hunting for wild game, but just because it's not what I prefer doesn't mean others can't like it. Most of all, have fun!:letsdrink

4,058 Posts
biggamefishr (1/12/2008)if i'm not mistaken the dogs are gonna pin the hog and then you finish it off.using a firearm in this situationdoesn't sound real sporting to me. but i was given the option to use a knife......so, should i do it "the barta way"?
for one thing, using a firearm in this situation is, not to mention dangerous, but also downright difficult. dogs are flyin all over the place, the hog is spinnin around. not worth shootin one of the dogs. it's absolutely badass. one of the biggest rushes ever. "makes a man out of you"

i have more respect for a man that has killed a hog with a knife than i have for one that has graduated college, lol

·
Registered
380 Posts
Don't do it the Barta way! That episode where he hunted them with a knife was pathetic. The guide had to sit there and hold the hog by the back legs so he could stab it. Be more of a man than Tred and get in there while the dogs are still on it, it'll be pure chaos!

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i just got off the phone with my dad and we're leaving saturday morning and returning monday afternoon. We're gonna hunt all day sunday out of a swamp buggy and they've guaranteed 4 kills. They said theres a pretty good chance i'll get a boar in the 150-200lb range to stick with my pocket knife. I'm taking my nephew along to video the mayhem.......it should be a good time aslong as i don't end up in the ER. Videos will be posted regardless

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I think I'd take something a bit bigger than a pocket knife though! Good luck, it sounds like it's gonaa be a hell of an experience.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
biggame, I got a knife you can use.........it's bad ass, and I'd love to know that it killed a hog.......if you will be at the get together tomorrow, I'll bring it! It's a big mean bowie knife......full tang, sharp, with sheath that hooks to a belt and ties to your leg......

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the offer ray, but i think i'm going to use my cold steel SRK. The videos on the cold steel site show them using it to cut through a car door, so i imagine it'll handle a hog. btw i'll be there tomorrow night

skoal can tossed in for scale (http://www.coldsteel.com/38ck.html)

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Nice, I'll bring mine buy anyway just to show it to ya.....now that I think of it, it's probably too big

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I use it on sharks like crocadile dundee used his on crocs.....just kidding

Honestly it was a gift from my mom....lol I used to collect knives years ago and it's just one that I've kept.It's just a nasty looking knife!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts