Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went about 6 miles offshore from Pensacola this afternoon and caught plenty of red snapper. There was no sign of oil today in the water that I could see and the fish looked healthy. I kept my limit of two and they look pretty healthy. My question is are you guys eating the stuff that is still local off the beach or do you think its a bad idea? Would we know if they had been contaminated.I realize they havent closed it in state waters yet but I do knowthere has been talk of the sheen, the tarballs, and the potentail underwater plume being close. As a sidenote I saw two fishing trawlers working the area and I am sure they are selling those to market. I cleaned mine and plan to have them Thursday but just curious what your thoughts are. Planned this trip for a long time and it was a great day to be out on the water. Took my 70 year old Father-in-law who came all the way from Phoenix to fish..

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Let's put it this way. If you don't want to eat them let me know I will take them off your hands for you. LOL!!! On a serious note the water is being tested in your area every day from the coast line to off shore many miles. UWF is testing the water and the fish so if it would make you feel more comfortable you could contact them.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Saw on TV that the commercial buyers are primarily relying on the "smell test". They stated a good sense of smell can detect petro-contaminated seafood.....????

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I would eat it if the fish came up covered in oil. If I don't get sick eating the 1% hair at Burger King then I figure i'm good. I don't think I would feed it to Zach though. If i'm wrong I would hope he would be the one to reap the wealth of my life insurance and not my mother in law.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts