Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys with 3/4 ton diesels running 8 ply tires? I am looking to go up from 265 x16 to 285 x 16 on my truck and the 10 ply rating is pretty hard to get in an aggressive tread tire for the 285's. I checked the load rating and there is only slightly more than 100 lbs difference on the load rating between the 265 E rated and the 285 D rated. 3400 something verse 3300 something. With the cost of these things, I don't want to wear out a set in 30,000 miles. My current OE tires are bf goodrich all terrain ats and the have 92,000 so it is time to do something. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Mark... the ONLY tire I buy for both Susan's 1500 Yukon and my Dodge 2500 are 10 ply tires (I know that they are not really a 10 ply tire just a 10 ply rating). They are needed on the Dodge (towing 13,000#) but on the Yukon, they not only ride better, they last longer. Go for the max and if 8 ply is it go for it.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only real concern is longevity of the tire. I think I can live with the 100 lbs/tire less load rating. I drive 80 + pct on the road but if I am pulling a stock trailer through the mud,or hunting I need the traction. Also, you know what it's like to get an 8200 lb truck stuck and I really don't want that to happen any more. I wouldn't mind going back with the AT's but they just aren't geared for high traction like I need.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Mark..People have different views on brand tires. My best millage tire was a set of 10 ply Hancook. I took them off at 80,000 and sold them for what my new tires cost in mounting and balancing. I probably could of gotten another 5,000 or so miles but this was when Susan was working. I didn't want her to be driving home at night (9:00 pm) doing 80+ down I-65 and on a possible wet road.

Got 30,000 out of OEM that came on the truck, 2nd set got 80,000 out of Hancook, couldn't find Hancook for the third set and went with??? but got 40,000... Just put my 4th set of tires on at 150,000 miles. Found the Hancook this time.

Yukon is a 1500 4x4 All vehicles are driven 100% on the road.

10,000 miles and the tread is half a penny deep on the right rear.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
my '09 gmc duramax came with 265/17's(E rated)on it from the factory and they had 70 psi in them. they rode like a 2 horse wagon, rattle your teeth over every little bump. i changed to P-metric 285's and lowered the air pressure to 35 psi because i don't haul any heavy loadsand it rides like a half ton p/u now, 100% improvment. they are bridgestones.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Michelins! No other compares. Price isnt worth the ride diffrence & longevity of the tire. Been in the tire / repair business for over 20 years. Trust me, Michelins! Want the best? Buy the best! The difference of money is worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts