Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Not on my boat.

I thought regs were one had to be readily accessible (on-deck) for each & every passenger? Personally, I don't consider "in a hatch" or "in a bag" to be readily accessible ever since an Officer on Lake DeGray, AR informed me so some years ago. (fortunately he let me off with a verbal)

I have a walkaround ... but I always ensure there is one on deck for each person before we leave the dock - not down in the cabin. Usually clipped to the bimini supports or something else. (I like to clip 'em one on each side to the bimini support so CG or FWC can clearly see from a distance that we have 'em & have 'em out)
I've been checked before on both my walk-around and bay boat. Like you, I keep several life jackets available strapped to either the leaning post or top. However, I do keep the rest of them either inside the cabin or in the front hatch of the bay boat. Several years ago, I was boarded by the coast guard leaving Mcree and while they were on the boat, I asked questions, lots of questions. One of them dealt with storage of life jackets. Response was i was fine with them in the hatch or in the cabin. The key was they could not be locked where they could not be accessed by anyone on the boat. Same as with the throw ring.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts