Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting close to needing tires on my tahoe so trying to figure out how big I can go. Its a 97 4wd model. I read where alot of people are putting on 285/75-16's. If I am not mistaken that size is pretty close to being a 33 x 12.50. Is my thinking right? Truck is bone stock with stock wheels. Any tire guys on here? Can I put 33 x 12.50 tires on my stock tahoe with no rubbing?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
285's will rub a lil bit. 265's should be fine. I will say that gas millage will be horrible with a 285. I had a 93 Z71 and tried every tire size I could. If you don't mind trimming a 305/75/16 will fit but they will rub. Do you go off road with it? Or are you just going for looks? Either way a 285 will more than likely rub when you turn,a 265 should clear. A 245 will give better gas millage. Oh one more thing,if you use the 4x4 much the 285's will make you replace the CV axles regularly. If you do play with it I would recommend a straight axle conversion. I have a complete front set up if you need/want it.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
285's will rub a lil bit. 265's should be fine. I will say that gas millage will be horrible with a 285. I had a 93 Z71 and tried every tire size I could. If you don't mind trimming a 305/75/16 will fit but they will rub. Do you go off road with it? Or are you just going for looks? Either way a 285 will more than likely rub when you turn,a 265 should clear. A 245 will give better gas millage. Oh one more thing,if you use the 4x4 much the 285's will make you replace the CV axles regularly. If you do play with it I would recommend a straight axle conversion. I have a complete front set up if you need/want it.
I donr off road with it. I have only put it in 4wd once in the yard. Tried one time to put it in 4wd at the beach one day due to soft shoulder and it didnt go in that day. But my dash switch does not work properly. The tires on it now just look slightly small so I want to fill the wheel wells. Plus my speedo is bout 5 mph slow at speed. A bigger tire should also correct that as well.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is on it now? Go one size above that and it should correct the speedo and fill the wheel well. Again it depends on what is on it now.
Right now it has 255/70's on it. Going to a 265/75 might be bout right for what I want. The 265 will be slightly wider but going from an ar of 70 to an ar of 75 will probably make the height difference slightly more noticable.

·
Duerwood Willis
1,748 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Air Force 1)

A 265 doesn't feel the fender well and will look to small also, but the 285 will slightly rub.

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
I have 285/75R16 on my 1996 2wd 2500 Sierra. I have installed brand new coil springs for a 3500 truck to compensate for my Ranch Hand bumper and the tires are rubbing the frame behind the tire and the sway bar at full lock.

·
Registered
810 Posts
i sell tires and if you have 255/70s on it that should be the stock size. i also concur with these guys 265/75 will probably be the tallest you will be able to get away with with stock suspension without rubbing, which they should be close to a 30-31". good luck

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have a 1998 model Tahoe 4WD running Cooper 285/75-16's AT3's.
No rubbing and it looks good. I am running aftermarket rims with a little bit of offset, but zero lift from stock. That could be why I don't rub on the inner finder wells.

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
There should be a tag in the door that will read the stock tire size. I used desertrat.com for my tire conversion charts.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I have 32's on my bone stock 99 2wd hoe.
I could put 33's on it and still not rub.
Must be more parts in the way with 4wd ?

Breeze, you can find new/near new takeoff's of stock alloy rims with new/nearly new tires already mounted and balanced at less cost than buying new tires alone.
Just check out CL like these:
http://pensacola.craigslist.org/pts/4092498116.html

·
Praedator
9,948 Posts
Plus my speedo is bout 5 mph slow at speed. A bigger tire should also correct that as well.
You have that a little backwards. Bigger tires make your speedometer read slower than you are really going. Bigger tires mean you are traveling a longer distance per revolution of the tire.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You have that a little backwards. Bigger tires make your speedometer read slower than you are really going. Bigger tires mean you are traveling a longer distance per revolution of the tire.
Your right. My mind was thinking correct but my hands typed wrong. My speedo reads fast; my actual speed is slower then the speedo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts