Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever been fishing in Delacroix, LA? If so, what was working for you? Me and a few of my buds are entering a tournament in April there. Thanks for any advice you can provide!

-joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tournament consists of checkpoints spread over a 20 mile fishing area. You get a token from the checkpoint, catch fish, take picture with fish and token, release fish, return token, move to the next checkpoint, repeat. Tournament based on length only of red drum, black drum, trout and bass.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am working over in South West Misissippi and know several people that fish over there regularly. They are reporting tearing up reds and big specs on live or fresh dead shrimp under popping corks.
Maybe DOA shrimp under a popping cork?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am working over in South West Misissippi and know several people that fish over there regularly. They are reporting tearing up reds and big specs on live or fresh dead shrimp under popping corks.
Maybe DOA shrimp under a popping cork?

I'm from MS. Where do you work down there? I've been fishing LaFrance and Waveland ( I stay in MS) lately and been getting skunked on the Reds. Would love to talk to someone that's been successful lately to see what I'm doing wrong. A friend of mine fishes west side of Lake Borgne, which is Bellechase / Delacroix area, a lot. He says his go to is a 1/4oz unpainted head, with red eyes, and a 3-4" swimmer. He prefers shad color in summer and fall then "chicken on a chain" in the spring. Good luck.

·
Registered
369 Posts
delacroix

If I could figure out how to post maps on here I could give yall all my favorite spots. Delacroix will put a spell on you though. The fishing can be phenominal one day and the next day you might not get a bite. One day in Lake St Catherine I caught seven 32 inch reds in 45 mins.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There can be a TON of grass in Delacroix. Weedless spoons and flukes are very popular. Aqua dream spoons and matrix shad are some of the most used baits down there. Personally, I like to throw a Scum Frog through all the grass and catch them on top water. Finding water moving in and out of ponds is a great way to catch fish. Many times, you can't get into the ponds because of grass. Fishing the edges where water is flowing produces fish.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I fished it last year and our team came in 30th placed. We hit 4 out 6 check points and 4 species of fish. Where we went wrong was fishing one spot too long and having to traverse shallow mud flats with hobies. We managed to finished with in the time limit, but came up short on the length of fish caught. It was a fun day, scattered thunderstorm, cold front, and head winds of 20-25knots. I would try to make it down a day or two early and pre-fish, and get to know the area. It is vast and challenging via kayak. We logged 14 miles that day and missed 2 checkpoints. Either way, good luck.

TEAM SUNK FUNDS

·
Registered
857 Posts
Moving water, moving water, moving water. Then look for some moving water. Trout near the tidelines, Reds on the bank. Winter time Trout will eat hell out of a plain plastic bait under a popping cork, like a Ghost Minnow or a Deadly Dudley.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You weren't kidding about the weather there last year....it was like peddiling against a freight train...and with a propel the weeds wrapping up in the prop was a nightmare...I found a setup with razor blades on the prop that a guy on the native owners group says works good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts