Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tomorrow morning it looks like a break in the rain with winds around 5. I am driving from niceville over to blackwater to try to get on some fish since the red tide has been bad on the bay here. Can anyone give me any tips on areas to fish, what to fish, and where to put in. Right now I am thinking of putting wife a popping cork with live shrimp and me go artificial. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I would troll until you find some fish. You can troll a paddle tail grub on a jig head near the bottom and a medium diver subsurface type lure. Try to cocos on points and drop offs. Cool luck

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Any point, mouth, drop off, or deep hole same goes for all rivers across the country.

Blackwater bay is a huge flat with very small differences that make all the difference in the world very suttle depth changes, bottom contour, look for docks, reeds, points, bridges or any structure.

All this rain will make things interesting. Not to say you cant go out there and catch fish but finding concentrated schools will be the difference between a few and a 5 man limit.

Blackwater in all honesty isnt the place to expect to catch fish unless you spend a decent amount of time tracking the fish and adapting to their feeding patterns that work in conjunction with moon, tide, rain and weather patterns.

That also goes for any river. every river has a different attitude some will rise more then others some will have clearer water, some have a natural faster flow.

When it rains like this the first body of water subject to change is a river. Think Deep ledges right out of the current Rip thats the best tip I can give u for the river.

And teach the ole lady how to use artificials most girls would rather do that anyhow... that way their hands stay clean.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gonna launch for mae lane probably and head down to yellow river. I grabbed some suspended twitch baits and some bladed jig heads in anticipation for muddy water.

·
Kayak Fishing Guide
1,810 Posts
As Chaps said trolling until you find the fish is your best bet.

The majority of the Trout and Reds I have been catching have been in less then 3ft of water.

Let us know how you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Destin Area
42 Posts
So tomorrow morning it looks like a break in the rain with winds around 5. I am driving from niceville over to blackwater to try to get on some fish since the red tide has been bad on the bay here. Can anyone give me any tips on areas to fish, what to fish, and where to put in. Right now I am thinking of putting wife a popping cork with live shrimp and me go artificial. Thanks in advance!
I'm in Niceville too! I was going to fish BW for the first time a couple of days ago but chickened out due to the stained water and winds. I had Mae Lane as my planned put in. Spinning rod had a zara and flyrod had a clouser tied on. Kind of regret not going. Let me know how you did!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I fished blackwater last week. It's really stained all the way south towards garcon with a lot of freshwater. My buddy caught a large mouth bass down towards grassy point.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for late post we had last minute trip to alabama. So we headed out of launch around 730am a couple mullet jumping and other than that no life to be found. We went all the way to the yellow river and moved in it. The current wasn't horrible but still couldn't find any signs of life. The wife got 2 hits on the live shrimp all day. It was absolutely beautiful though and enjoyed the paddle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts