Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Tipping a Charter

7K views 44 replies 27 participants last post by  Burnt Drag 
#1 ·
Okay, it's been a while since I payed for a charter and I need to know the skinny on appropriate % to tip a captain running a boat without a mate. In the past, I tipped the mate well based on performance with the premise that the tip was A) all his B)his primary income from each charter trip. I would tip 20% for darn good matesbut no less than 10%.

Anyone out there got any input? Appreciate it in advance.

#27 ·
Tips is what deckhands live on. Im not sure of the precentage but thats thier living. A good Capn that appreciates his hand will cover the tip if not paid by the customers & you can Guarantee next trip, They will pay more. Deck hands do a lot of free work on the boat when not on trips. Waiters, Barbers, Deckhands, Anyone that goes beyond their job to help deserves gratuitys. Unless thier paid to do that. Always figure a tip into fishing charters. Ask is it in the fee. Tip anyway. Ive been helped at convenience stores & tipped. Its a way of Personelysaying thanks. I as a Mechanic get tips on occaision. Gladly take it. Buying Beer or other things are tips as well. I couldnt understand anyone having a problem tipping for good service.

#31 ·
if your not familiar with reservoir dogs please see this movie! in the movie they were talking about a waitress and how much 2 tip the overall point is that it was a way for resturaunt owners 2 b cheap it is my job as a patron 2 pay your fees if i deem them fair for food. you pay your wait staff 2 bring me my food wich i will pay for and if i deem the waiter or waitresses eximplary then i may leave a tip however they are not on my payroll! it should be our option as patrons of any business 2 tip or not however it has become required and i just dont feel that it is right. you pay your employees and i will pay you 2 take me fishin.

#32 ·
The state of Fla allows it for bar tenders , Waiters etc. They dont even get minimum wage which sucks. SoI feel they, Unless thierservice waiting stinks they deserve something. They are working. I'm not sure how that works with deckhands & the state. I wll check out the movie, Can yourent it?

#33 ·
yes king crab i sell dvd's at t & w flea market come see me next saturday and pay full price (6.00 i think) and bring it back sunday and i will refund all but 1.00 or bring it back the following week and it'll be 2.00 were at table 215. in fact anyone from pff just mention it and ill take real good care of you.

#34 ·
I have been on 10 different charter trips andI always tip. If you can't afford to tip in an environment where it is customary to tip then stay home. I delivered pizzas while in college so I know what it's like working for tips. If you are looking to save some money feel free to negotiate with the Captain. Offer to pay cash- this will save him some money which he may pass on to you in the form of a discounted rate. If you are on a head boat tip the deckie a bit in advance. You may find yourself fishing the best spot on the boat or getting the best baits. Just my 2 cents...

#35 ·
Charter fishing is merely another type of service. Tipping is customary and the amount should depend on the quality of service not the amount of fish caught. Just because it costs more than eating dinner out doesn't mean you shouldn't tip. If you don't want to tip because of the initial cost then in my opinion you shouldn't go. My .02.

#36 ·
I too believe tipping has gotten out of control in America, but...

I have worked at restaurants all through college and if you do not tip your waiter at least 15% your a jerk. Some do not deserve it, but 15% is really the minimum. Here is the thing, often times a waiter HAS to also give the bartender 1-4%, the busser 1-3%, hostess a %, food runner 1%, etc. I have been stiffed many times and I have been tipped >5% many times and guess what, I just paid money to wait on you. If you have a $100 meal a waiter will tip out on average 4% to others in the restaurant to make sure your service is right, so if you stiff the waiter he will actually of had to PAY to serve you, think about that. I did all the time, very difficult job that a cheap @55 makes worse.

I have not been with enough mates who act like they are working for tips, rather most mates just expect the money at the end. It is a hard job, but if you want tips you should act like your working for them. Also, I do think upon booking a charter it should be made crystal clear what the mate makes and/ or what people should tip.

Charter captains can say what they want, but I think if your paying over $1000 dollars for a trip everything should be included up front except for real tips, as in if the day was really great and someone wants to give extra. Also, for mates to make most their money from cleaning fish is ridiculous. Extra money from cleaning is great and to charge for it is fine, but to work 8 hours and then make your money off of the last hour of work is insane personally.

The service industry is flawed in many ways, but there is enough variety to usually get what you want and what you pay for. So choose wisely and if you do not like how one does it, pay what you owe and do not come back, but do not stiff the people who worked for their money because you do not like how the system works.

#38 ·
BOHUNTER1 (1/17/2010) I definitely do not want to be forced to pay, if that happens Ill just go with friends, its a lot more fun and the fuel is paid and boat and fish are cleaned by us.

I mean Im paying for a service, if the boat has a hand then thats the responsibility of the Captain, I didnt hire him. I paid 600 smackers for enjoyment......Maybe Im wrong but I cant see it.
Your mentality is extremely flawed. Also, if you think you and your "friends" (most likely weekend warriors) can consistently go out and catch more fish in an area than a local guide? You are extremely mistaken.

#39 ·
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; BACKGROUND: white" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">
tunapopper (1/17/2010)Bohunter, the cost of the trip for the most part goes to the Capt, which he then breaks down to pay for fuel, tackle, etc, etc and the usually modest pay for the Mate. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">The mate WORKS FOR TIPS. If you don't tip him for doing a good job then he will have worked hardfor little pay. Most charters let you know up front that the mate works for tips. That is seperate from the charter cost. Like someone else said, do you tip a waiter? Or is the $2.40 she makes an hour good enough pay?

Bingo. The overhead for a captain can be immense. Boat note, truck note, tackle expenses, slip fees, fishing permits, insurance, fuel (sometimes), food/drinks (sometimes), etc.<o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">
Mattatoar (1/17/2010)

What I'm talking about is ~ $1200+ for a day plus fuel (12 hour trip)... I just wasn't sure if the protocol would differ with no mate and then fuel added in and all that. I guess I'll brake out my calculator and ATM card before I head out that day.
For many captains, their overhead may run $3000-5000 a month, so that little $1200 you're paying? He'll never see a dime of that money, at least until he runs around 5 trips that month. Hence, why the deckie works for tips.

ADRENALINE (1/17/2010) If you can't afford to tip, just explain that to the Captain before the tripand he'llwork it out with the deckie.
I disagree. If you can't afford to tip (and this also applies to eating out), then you REALISTICALLY can't afford the trip, and should consider saving your money or spending it more wisely. Don't try to cut corners, (you cheap bastard), oftentimes with a charter, you get what you pay for...

redfishin'JR (1/17/2010) But if you look at the mark up on the food, it's rediculous! A glass of sweet tea costing $1.75...what is that, about a 1000% mark up? I tip on average 3-5%.
If you're so familiar with how a restaurant is run, and you don't like the markup, then stay your cheap ass at home. Keep in mind, you're probably eating out because of the convenience factor. Maybe you've had a long day and just don't feel like cooking or don't feel like going to the grocery store. So you choose to eat out. If you can't afford to tip, then you can't afford to eat out. 3-5% tip? You are trailor trash. I bet you're the kind of person that goes to a restaurant and the service is great, the food is great, and you still try to find some reason to complain so that you can get a free meal out of it and embarrass your server in front of other tables and his/her manager. I've seen your kind before.

#40 ·
Okay... I did my trip and I tipped despite an abysmal result (gauging by the fish box)... I tipped because I believed the Captain made a serious effort even though it was just "one of those days" where the fish were not cooperating. I payed ALOT (IMHO) and the fuel bill was approaching double what we were expecting... so it essentially cost $1000 each for 3 people to boat two 40 pound YFT in 12 hours.

To keep from straying off topic... I seriously think a Captain without a mate should gauge his charter fee to NOT expect a tip... his reputation will suffer or thrive based upon service (aka effort/skill demonstrated) and results (sometimes totally beyond the best of the best's control)... so! He should work hard for NO TIP as it is his boat/company/living and his reputation is everything and that's what keeps the note on the boat payed every month and puts grits on the table.

I really like the responses I got here and sincerely appreciate the opinions... Mr Pink ? What a great reference! Be sure to tell about the movie's explanation of Madonna and "Like a Virgin" explained by Mr. Pink next time.

#42 ·
I always tip well for good service, when i get bad service i dont tip as much but i still tip.

I usually dont get a bunch of tips durring the year maybe three or four. First mates have to earn there tips by being friendly, talkative, and overall making sure there fishing experence is the best that it can be. There are boats that include tip and fish cleaning in the price, I dont care for this, I believe the mate must earn a good tip and that if he doesnt perform great that day then not to expect much of a tip. When people ask me what to tip the deckhand I usually tell them its up to them thatdeckhands arekind of like a waiter at a restaurant and a %15 tip isnt unusual for them to get, but really its up to the customer. My mates do well.

I believe that if it wasn't for tips most deckhands would show up but preformance would be lacking expecally after 50 or 60 days straight without a day off. So just fire them and get another one, yea right, what you would have is an inexperenced crew shortly thereafter and the charters would just suck. Also GOD forbid you actually have an emergency at sea who would you want saving your familys life an old salt that has logged over 1000 days at sea or a green horn thats working for minimum wage and been on a charter boat less than a month?

First mates are professional fishermen and you would have to pay them from 20 to 40 thousand a year to have them work for you on a boat. This cost would be added on to the charter without tipping, so really your going to pay for it one way or the other.

#43 ·
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">
redfishin'JR (1/17/2010) But if you look at the mark up on the food, it's rediculous! A glass of sweet tea costing $1.75...what is that, about a 1000% mark up? I tip on average 3-5%.
If you're so familiar with how a restaurant is run, and you don't like the markup, then stay your cheap ass at home. Keep in mind, you're probably eating out because of the convenience factor. Maybe you've had a long day and just don't feel like cooking or don't feel like going to the grocery store. So you choose to eat out. If you can't afford to tip, then you can't afford to eat out. 3-5% tip? You are trailor trash. I bet you're the kind of person that goes to a restaurant and the service is great, the food is great, and you still try to find some reason to complain so that you can get a free meal out of it and embarrass your server in front of other tables and his/her manager. I've seen your kind before.[/quote]<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">You say that if I can't afford to tip, to keep myself at home. The way I see it is, if you can't earn a living doing your job, find another job. I used to work at Delchamps right after high school. Well, guess what? It wasn't paying the bills so I had to look for something better. BTW, I've never complained about a meal to a manager. There has been numerous times when I could have and probably should have, but I didn't. Bottom line, It's not my job to pay your bills. I work for my money so you should work for your money.

#44 ·
Im glad someone brought up this subject. Back when things were getting started in my charter career, a little success went a long way with some customers and the deckhand would make out great. Other times we would score big, and the deckhand would get the shaft. Point is... if the customer doesn't know the protocol or custom, he thinks the deckhand is just part of the deal and they do or do not tip. We have always had the best and most experienced deckhands we could find. Picture this. You go to a restaurant and the chef cooks you an excellent meal. The service is good. You tip 10 percent. Fine... understood. There is no way the waiter or tress could improve on the service. Then... get on the charter boat. There is a guy who poses as deckhand and he can't tie a knot that will hold. He doesnt rig the rods with the correct tackle and he doesnt offer any suggestions for catching more or bigger fish. You catch a few fish... no prizes but a you got some to take home. That guy was worth what ever you decided to give him. Entering the scene now... is a 6-8 year veteran. He has worked the deck since he was 15. The knows rigging. He knows what to do if he sees a cobia. He is ready with a rod with a sabiki if you see a school of bait on the way out. He maintains a badass bunch of trolling lures. He can rig a ballyhoo, mullet, or cigar minnow to troll. He has spent lots of time learning to boat big fish and knows how to manage anglers and keep them from making fatal fish losing mistakes.... how much more is that guy worth?

As a captain that does not work by himself, I refuse tips unless the customer insists... this is for you ... and most of the time I still give it to the deckhand. But... If I went on one of the very capable inshore operations that are run by the captain, I would tip.... as a courtesy. Not an obligation. If I experienced a high degree of BS, I would lower the tip... If the effort was there and the fish were not... I would tip well. Sometimes we know people are not going to tip. Sometimes the deck hand wants to slack on these people... I do not allow it... I just respect their judgement not to go out of their way for these people.I will let you fellows chew on this and I will look for replys... Im late replying... but really, I would like to hear from some other charter captains on this... and thanks for your .02 Litecatch.

With service... its just like business .. honesty is the best policy!

www.aquaventurecharters.com

Capt. Jim Stone

#45 ·
Ben, I just read your comments. Ditto on the safety factors.... There have been some serious and some semi-serious issues that have come up over the years. And the semi-serious problems are solved before I hear about them, the truly serious problems (the oh-shit ones) could be uncovered by either of us... but the deckhand/mate that doesnt recognise either is the one that doesnt need to be there. Best Regards....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.