Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
I always tip well for good service, when i get bad service i dont tip as much but i still tip.

I usually dont get a bunch of tips durring the year maybe three or four. First mates have to earn there tips by being friendly, talkative, and overall making sure there fishing experence is the best that it can be. There are boats that include tip and fish cleaning in the price, I dont care for this, I believe the mate must earn a good tip and that if he doesnt perform great that day then not to expect much of a tip. When people ask me what to tip the deckhand I usually tell them its up to them thatdeckhands arekind of like a waiter at a restaurant and a %15 tip isnt unusual for them to get, but really its up to the customer. My mates do well.

I believe that if it wasn't for tips most deckhands would show up but preformance would be lacking expecally after 50 or 60 days straight without a day off. So just fire them and get another one, yea right, what you would have is an inexperenced crew shortly thereafter and the charters would just suck. Also GOD forbid you actually have an emergency at sea who would you want saving your familys life an old salt that has logged over 1000 days at sea or a green horn thats working for minimum wage and been on a charter boat less than a month?

First mates are professional fishermen and you would have to pay them from 20 to 40 thousand a year to have them work for you on a boat. This cost would be added on to the charter without tipping, so really your going to pay for it one way or the other.

·
Registered
258 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">
redfishin'JR (1/17/2010) But if you look at the mark up on the food, it's rediculous! A glass of sweet tea costing $1.75...what is that, about a 1000% mark up? I tip on average 3-5%.
If you're so familiar with how a restaurant is run, and you don't like the markup, then stay your cheap ass at home. Keep in mind, you're probably eating out because of the convenience factor. Maybe you've had a long day and just don't feel like cooking or don't feel like going to the grocery store. So you choose to eat out. If you can't afford to tip, then you can't afford to eat out. 3-5% tip? You are trailor trash. I bet you're the kind of person that goes to a restaurant and the service is great, the food is great, and you still try to find some reason to complain so that you can get a free meal out of it and embarrass your server in front of other tables and his/her manager. I've seen your kind before.[/quote]<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">You say that if I can't afford to tip, to keep myself at home. The way I see it is, if you can't earn a living doing your job, find another job. I used to work at Delchamps right after high school. Well, guess what? It wasn't paying the bills so I had to look for something better. BTW, I've never complained about a meal to a manager. There has been numerous times when I could have and probably should have, but I didn't. Bottom line, It's not my job to pay your bills. I work for my money so you should work for your money.

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Im glad someone brought up this subject. Back when things were getting started in my charter career, a little success went a long way with some customers and the deckhand would make out great. Other times we would score big, and the deckhand would get the shaft. Point is... if the customer doesn't know the protocol or custom, he thinks the deckhand is just part of the deal and they do or do not tip. We have always had the best and most experienced deckhands we could find. Picture this. You go to a restaurant and the chef cooks you an excellent meal. The service is good. You tip 10 percent. Fine... understood. There is no way the waiter or tress could improve on the service. Then... get on the charter boat. There is a guy who poses as deckhand and he can't tie a knot that will hold. He doesnt rig the rods with the correct tackle and he doesnt offer any suggestions for catching more or bigger fish. You catch a few fish... no prizes but a you got some to take home. That guy was worth what ever you decided to give him. Entering the scene now... is a 6-8 year veteran. He has worked the deck since he was 15. The knows rigging. He knows what to do if he sees a cobia. He is ready with a rod with a sabiki if you see a school of bait on the way out. He maintains a badass bunch of trolling lures. He can rig a ballyhoo, mullet, or cigar minnow to troll. He has spent lots of time learning to boat big fish and knows how to manage anglers and keep them from making fatal fish losing mistakes.... how much more is that guy worth?

As a captain that does not work by himself, I refuse tips unless the customer insists... this is for you ... and most of the time I still give it to the deckhand. But... If I went on one of the very capable inshore operations that are run by the captain, I would tip.... as a courtesy. Not an obligation. If I experienced a high degree of BS, I would lower the tip... If the effort was there and the fish were not... I would tip well. Sometimes we know people are not going to tip. Sometimes the deck hand wants to slack on these people... I do not allow it... I just respect their judgement not to go out of their way for these people.I will let you fellows chew on this and I will look for replys... Im late replying... but really, I would like to hear from some other charter captains on this... and thanks for your .02 Litecatch.

With service... its just like business .. honesty is the best policy!

www.aquaventurecharters.com

Capt. Jim Stone

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Ben, I just read your comments. Ditto on the safety factors.... There have been some serious and some semi-serious issues that have come up over the years. And the semi-serious problems are solved before I hear about them, the truly serious problems (the oh-shit ones) could be uncovered by either of us... but the deckhand/mate that doesnt recognise either is the one that doesnt need to be there. Best Regards....

41 - 45 of 45 Posts