Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, it's been a while since I payed for a charter and I need to know the skinny on appropriate % to tip a captain running a boat without a mate. In the past, I tipped the mate well based on performance with the premise that the tip was A) all his B)his primary income from each charter trip. I would tip 20% for darn good matesbut no less than 10%.

Anyone out there got any input? Appreciate it in advance.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I tip the same for a Capt running without a mate as I do a Captain with a mate. With a mate, the tip goes to the mate, without a mate, the fee plus the tip all go to the Capt. If the Capt does not work to find fish, the tip is lower, like your 10% figure. If the Capt works to find fish, even if no fish are found or caught, the tip is raised to the 20% bracket.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I understand people tip and stuff, but If I pay $600.00 bucks for 3-4 guys to go fish, thats what it costs.

Thats their JOB, If you want a yard cut and I say 50 bucks when Im done you gonna tip me another 20 bucks for rolling the garbage can out of my way while Im being paid to cut grass.... I just dont get it. I definitely do not want to be forced to pay, if that happens Ill just go with friends, its a lot more fun and the fuel is paid and boat and fish are cleaned by us.

I mean Im paying for a service, if the boat has a hand then thats the responsibility of the Captain, I didnt hire him. I paid 600 smackers for enjoyment......Maybe Im wrong but I cant see it.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Paying for fish cleaning is pretty standard over there in Orange Beach but alot of places it isnt. I know I sure wish I could have charged for it working in Venice. Tip them well if they work hard and they will remember you! They also will remeber if you dont,I know one of the times that really sticks out in my mind is one day we crushed the fish and I cleaned 14 yellowfins and 8 dolphin and I got a $20 tip.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Freespool (1/17/2010)Paying for fish cleaning is pretty standard over there in Orange Beach but alot of places it isnt. I know I sure wish I could have charged for it working in Venice. Tip them well if they work hard and they will remember you! They also will remeber if you dont,I know one of the times that really sticks out in my mind is one day we crushed the fish and I cleaned 14 yellowfins and 8 dolphin and I got a $20 tip.
OUCH I bet that made you feel good. Did the Capt make it up to you? It happens from time to time. I always make sure my deckhand recieves what he deserves even if it comes out of my pocket. Everyone over here charges around .30 per whole weight pound for fish cleaning and packaging

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Yes the captain did me right. How do you like that 36 Cape? Ive been on a 31 and loved it. That 36 looks like a fine ride but Ive never seen one in person I dont think

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
BOHUNTER1 (1/17/2010)I understand people tip and stuff, but If I pay $600.00 bucks for 3-4 guys to go fish, thats what it costs.

Thats their JOB, If you want a yard cut and I say 50 bucks when Im done you gonna tip me another 20 bucks for rolling the garbage can out of my way while Im being paid to cut grass.... I just dont get it. I definitely do not want to be forced to pay, if that happens Ill just go with friends, its a lot more fun and the fuel is paid and boat and fish are cleaned by us.

I mean Im paying for a service, if the boat has a hand then thats the responsibility of the Captain, I didnt hire him. I paid 600 smackers for enjoyment......Maybe Im wrong but I cant see it.

do you tip your waiter when you go out to eat??? Kinda the same concept

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Bohunter, the cost of the trip for the most part goes to the Capt, which he then breaks down to pay for fuel, tackle, etc, etc and the usually modest pay for the Mate.

The mate WORKS FOR TIPS. If you don't tip him for doing a good job then he will have worked hardfor little pay. Most charters let you know up front that the mate works for tips. That is seperate from the charter cost. Like someone else said, do you tip a waiter? Or is the $2.40 she makes an hour good enough pay?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Freespool (1/17/2010)Paying for fish cleaning is pretty standard over there in Orange Beach but alot of places it isnt. I know I sure wish I could have charged for it working in Venice. Tip them well if they work hard and they will remember you! They also will remeber if you dont,I know one of the times that really sticks out in my mind is one day we crushed the fish and I cleaned 14 yellowfins and 8 dolphin and I got a $20 tip.
I feel you there brother. I have decked from Key West to Hawaii, and some of my most memorable day's are not the ones we killed a ton of fish. It's the ones where I worked my ass off only to be stiffed at the end of the day!:banghead

Nothing will demoralize a man more than putting ina solid 14-15 hour day for a 20 spot!!!!

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
tunapopper (1/17/2010)Bohunter, the cost of the trip for the most part goes to the Capt, which he then breaks down to pay for fuel, tackle, etc, etc and the usually modest pay for the Mate.

The mate WORKS FOR TIPS. If you don't tip him for doing a good job then he will have worked hardfor little pay. Most charters let you know up front that the mate works for tips. That is seperate from the charter cost. Like someone else said, do you tip a waiter? Or is the $2.40 she makes an hour good enough pay?
This tipping crap is getting out of hand. It's a way an employer can keep his cost down ie screw the employee. Yes I tip my server, and you can bet I've walked out leaving a penny (as no tip, I didn't forget) at times also for crappy service. I don't tip the owner for services. Now if a Charter Captain pays his crew well, then you won't pay that $600.00 or so, it now comes to $720 to $800.00 to include mates wages.

Years ago I delivered Pizza while being a house husband (taking care of mother in law). We were paid $5.00 a hour, .80 (for fuel)a run and tips. At that time gas was the same as today ($2.50 and up). A trip from the shop to my house is 15 miles round trip. You can bet your AZZ I remembered who tipped and who didn't. I tip my delivery man a minimum of what it would cost me if I got off my azz and picked it up plus some depending on length of delivery somewhere between $2.50 and $5.00 plus odd change. I've never been on a charter, but I'm sure these mates get a workout. I'd hate to work a trip and end up with $20.00:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Banned
2,215 Posts
Tuna Man (1/17/2010)
tunapopper (1/17/2010)Bohunter, the cost of the trip for the most part goes to the Capt, which he then breaks down to pay for fuel, tackle, etc, etc and the usually modest pay for the Mate.

This tipping crap is getting out of hand. It's a way an employer can keep his cost down ie screw the employee. Yes I tip my server, and you can bet I've walked out leaving a penny (as no tip, I didn't forget) at times also for crappy service. I don't tip the owner for services. Now if a Charter Captain pays his crew well, then you won't pay that $600.00 or so, it now comes to $720 to $800.00 to include mates wages.

Years ago I delivered Pizza while being a house husband (taking care of mother in law). We were paid $5.00 a hour, .80 (for fuel)a run and tips. At that time gas was the same as today ($2.50 and up). A trip from the shop to my house is 15 miles round trip. You can bet your AZZ I remembered who tipped and who didn't. I tip my delivery man a minimum of what it would cost me if I got off my azz and picked it up plus some depending on length of delivery somewhere between $2.50 and $5.00 plus odd change. I've never been on a charter, but I'm sure these mates get a workout. I'd hate to work a trip and end up with $20.00:banghead:banghead:banghead
im with ya on that.. especially working at porkys pizza in cantonment.. sometimes i would have a 15 mile delivery to Barth or McDavid and get not even a penny.. and by God we all remembered who it was and also who tipped good

·
Registered
478 Posts
BOHUNTER1 (1/17/2010)I understand people tip and stuff, but If I pay $600.00 bucks for 3-4 guys to go fish, thats what it costs.

I mean Im paying for a service, if the boat has a hand then thats the responsibility of the Captain, I didnt hire him. I paid 600 smackers for enjoyment......Maybe Im wrong but I cant see it.[/quote

Tipping and fish cleaning is just part of it alot of the boats I work on especially on overnighters and multiple day trips are figuring it in the cost a flat rate. It gets rid of two problems the mate getting stiffed and it let's the customer know up front what it will cost him to the dime to go! Back when we ran more trips if you hot stiffed it hurt but if you get stiffed now with as few trips as everybody runs it really hurts!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, fair enough on the never screw the mate idea and that pizza delivery and waiting tables are low wage crap jobs that REALLY depend on tip. I especially like the input from Captains and mates. I EXPECT the Captain to work for my patronage and that means a serious effort to find and get on the fish. (Yes, sometimes they just aren't there or eating... that's fishing) I am not so certain a comparison to an Applebee's waiter and a charter Captain are fair though on several levels.

What I'm talking about is ~ $1200+ for a day plus fuel (12 hour trip)... I just wasn't sure if the protocol would differ with no mate and then fuel added in and all that. I guess I'll brake out my calculator and ATM card before I head out that day.

Thanks everyone for the input!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Mattatoar (1/17/2010)I just wasn't sure if the protocol would differ with no mate and then fuel added in and all that. Thanks everyone for the input!
If you are on a charter with only a captain and no mate that means that the captain is pulling two jobs, captain and mate job. The captain not only has to show up and put you on the fish, now he has to ice the boat,load the boat, bait lines, tie leaders, wash the boat,clean the fish etc...I agree comparing captains and mates to waiters in applesbees is apples and oranges....Just my opinion:letsdrink

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Mattatoar (1/17/2010)Okay, fair enough on the never screw the mate idea and that pizza delivery and waiting tables are low wage crap jobs that REALLY depend on tip. I especially like the input from Captains and mates. I EXPECT the Captain to work for my patronage and that means a serious effort to find and get on the fish. (Yes, sometimes they just aren't there or eating... that's fishing) I am not so certain a comparison to an Applebee's waiter and a charter Captain are fair though on several levels.

What I'm talking about is ~ $1200+ for a day plus fuel (12 hour trip)... I just wasn't sure if the protocol would differ with no mate and then fuel added in and all that. I guess I'll brake out my calculator and ATM card before I head out that day.

You paying for the food...the waiter takes the order, delivers order, picks order up and delivers it to your table, in the meantime keeping your drinks filled...tell the waiter next time you go he isnt a tip right out the gate and see how your service is...always tip your captain and mate becasue they work hard to make sure your happy and most will entertain you to make the trip enjoyable

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's just common courtesy. If you can't afford to tip, just explain that to the Captain before the tripand he'llwork it out with the deckie. Much better to do that than just stiff someone who has worked VERY hard all day to make sure you are happy and having a good time.Hell, I've had several trips where I wanted to tip the customersjust because they were so much fun!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mattatoar (1/17/2010)Okay, fair enough on the never screw the mate idea and that pizza delivery and waiting tables are low wage crap jobs that REALLY depend on tip. I especially like the input from Captains and mates. I EXPECT the Captain to work for my patronage and that means a serious effort to find and get on the fish. (Yes, sometimes they just aren't there or eating... that's fishing) I am not so certain a comparison to an Applebee's waiter and a charter Captain are fair though on several levels.

Most all charters do not charge a flat rate and then add fuel on top of that. Everywhere around here fuel is included in the price. The only place that I know that adds the cost of fuel to the trip is Venice. This is because they mainly target tuna which can be very close in or very far out. It allows them to put you on the fish and not lose $$ if they have to do alot of running.

·
Registered
258 Posts

I have to agree with bowhunter on this one. That's just part of it. If you don't get paid enough to do your job, then go get another job. I was on a charter about 4 years ago and it was supossed to be a "Good" trip. Well, we get to the dock that morning and the captain says that he didn't get his federal permit so we had to stay in state waters instead of going into federal waters but that we would still catch plenty of fish. I ended up with one mingo snapper...what;s up with that. I thought that we should get half of our money back but we didn't get it. Needless to say, the boat got $0.00 from me for the tip.

Also as far as a resturant. I do tip, but I don't tip very much. You can say that you're paying for the food, plus the tip for service. But if you look at the mark up on the food, it's rediculous! A glass of sweet tea costing $1.75...what is that, about a 1000% mark up? I tip on average 3-5%.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts