Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Bearded Brotula
14,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What test is everyone using for them? I'm gonna break out the fly rods and use them more this year.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I use 15lb flouro for inshore, 30 for bull reds and bonita, and slice some 17ib 7strand on when going after toothy critters like Spanish or blues

·
LyterKillsLing
718 Posts
Tapered tippet 20-15, 12lb flouro for leader. I like it light weight for those specks. And I can use the same leader for pomps!

Bulls 30lb mono to a 20-15lb flouro leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bearded Brotula
14,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys! Gonna go swing some flies Thursday, if the weather is nice.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm usually fishing a 10'-12' leader when using a floating line, some say that length is not needed, but I'm on the fence about that. Sink lines I think shorter leaders are fine, I'm also convinced that tapered is much better at turning over the fly than just a section of straight mono or fluro. I tie up a leader using blood knots in 2' section starting w/50 or 40 using 4 sections dropping down say 40>30>20>15 may add lighter tippet to this if they seem spooky or a bite guard tippet of 30lb fluro which does ok w/ Spanish and Blues unless the school tries to rip it out of the hooked fishes mouth, that's when I get cut off :thumbdown: It only takes a few minutes to make one once U get proficient w/your knots. I like to have something in there less than my backing to protect from losing everything on the reel when some insane Jack shows up :001_huh:. Water looks sweet down there today, I need to go for a walk see ya!:whistling:

·
LyterKillsLing
718 Posts
Yeah I'm all for a tapered leader. It rolls out smooth. But if I do tie on a large piece of mono or flouro for a leader, it's around 5-6ft then a 5-6 tippet.

Buying bulk seagar flouro is cheaper than buy a bunch of tapered line.

·
Bearded Brotula
14,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just tied on 5' of 40# flouro with 5' of 15# flouro attached via blood knot. First time trying a nail less nail knot. Seems strong enough.

Reactions: 60hertz

·
Registered
673 Posts
I just tied on 5' of 40# flouro with 5' of 15# flouro attached via blood knot. First time trying a nail less nail knot. Seems strong enough.
5 turn blood knot is very strong and keeps everything lined up right on top of ea. other. If you have a big difference in line size to be connected to ea other do 7 turns on the sm. line 5 w/the larger of the 2 this should make a strong B-knot as well for bigger changes in dia.

FD I'm not sure I follow your set up, I have fly line > leader > tippet, tippet in this case is just the last piece in the leader set up, the piece sometimes thin enough to help trick the fish as well as the sacrificial piece to help save on leaders when replacing flies, or a heavy piece (shock tippet) to help w/toothy critters. It's usually short maybe 2', in most cases a long thin tippet is going to give U trouble laying out a cast w/bushy or weighted flies. Long tippet works good nymphing for cold water trout though 5' or so. A double or a triple surgeon is a great knot for a quick tie up of leader > tippet out on or in the water.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Also Mr Fish if you're turning that leader over 40>15 more power to U, that would give me a fit I would think my fly would land somewhere around the end of my fly line (except inside of 50'), not 10' out from it.

Since you're using a B-Knot anyway tie one up in 2' sections w/a stiff butt dropping 10lbs a section and limber fluro tippet I think U will see an improvement especially long cast 70' plus. I like stiff section all the way to the tippet.

I'm done. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I gotta say "maybe" to all those tapered leaders. Best fly FISHERMAN & one of the best casters I know swears by a single piece of 20# fluoro for most saltwater purposes. His logic is that the knots in a tapered leader alert fish. He'll out fish & cast anybody I know.

I've learned to power thru the single strand leader - not really that hard. Just a thought.

·
LyterKillsLing
718 Posts
I'm no professional, but anybody can cast yard and have a single piece of leader, or two pieces of leader or no leader, the fly line does the work.... Casting yard isn't gonna put a fish on your hook. Placement is key, as for the knot you say can alert the fish, that's when placement comes in. Wether fly or spinning I've used a uni to uni for years And have never had a problem catching sought after fish. If you use a long enough tippet and put a good shot on a fish, the fish should never see that knot to begin with. I don't think I cast 5ft past a fish, if I do I work the fly to his face. Or pick up and re drop. That's just my two cents. With that being said I will use regular flouro, uni to uni is a good not as well. Tapering down from the fly line helps control the loop the fly and when it comes time to flop on over... Not saying it's not possible with a single piece of 20, but more finesse.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It's no trouble to cast a short straight piece of leader say 5' and a lot of guys think that is all they need when fishing the salt, and I'll go that route when fishing fast sink lines. I like a long leader when I'm throwing a floating line, I believe that floating line spooks some fish especially in clear water so I go to a longer leader 10'>12' and I know in this case a taper leader improves the cast over straight mono or fluro. Just sticks to what works for U :yes:. Like I'm going to do until I hear a good idea. I cast just fine and can usually put it very close to where I intend, but like most not always.

Fly fish guys need to post some fish, I for one have not caught shit of late. What ever happened to Capt Harry now he could put up a FF report :yes:??

·
Banned
1,953 Posts
k...not

I like a 7' tapered leader, with a loop knot looped most often to 2-3 foot of 8lb floro. I can quickly change out pre made tippets. (12lb albrited to 18lb sevenstrand) The problem with knotted leaders is not the knot itself, but the blade of grass it catches at just the wrong moment, or the slime that seems to be attracted to them.....ive seen the knots leave several wakes in calm conditions.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I guess I put up w/the knots because of the cost of a good tapered salt water leaders $$$$, I like your idea of the loop to tippet though, I don't have much weed issues where I fish but they (knots) can get U into a tangle at times, knot wakes now that getting real sensitive hadn't noticed those I'll look for them but my eyes are crap. I buy tapered leader for fresh water trout sometimes attaching tippet w/tippet rings instead of knots.

FreeDiver yep the fly line does the casting and most FLs are tapered all of mine are, only makes sense to finish that taper all the way to the end of the leader to me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
For the guys using fluro, do you change to mono with tossing a popper or gurgler? I normally change to a mono tippet because it floats better compared to fluro, but I left the leader all fluro. This conversation has me thinking about changing to a all mono setup except for the tippet so I can switch from topwater to subsurface by only changing the tippet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forum Fiend v1.2.10.

·
LyterKillsLing
718 Posts
The loop to loop is what I've been using recently, robin suggested it and it works great. Easy to swap out flies and tippets. I was just worried about the flight but it doesn't effect it much from what I can tell.

It makes sense, be cause like stated about those tapered leaders have a proud price on them....

·
Banned
18 Posts
Hey guess what, you don't have to use taper, but keep paying big bucks for tapered leader. MrFish, just go with 50# fluorocarbon, that will land anything!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts