Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Tall Sexy Guy
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep in mind that I'm a rookie hunter, so I have no experience to rely on. I bought a few items at Bass Pro Shops and wanted input from area hunters>

1. Tinks 69

2. Buck Call (I think it was called a hardwood grunter)

3. Some sort of cylinder call which sounds like a doe in heat (so they tell me).

Is any of this stuff really neccessary? Will any of it actually attract deer?

Thanks,

Scoots

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
scootman (1/21/2010)Keep in mind that I'm a rookie hunter, so I have no experience to rely on. I bought a few items at Bass Pro Shops and wanted input from area hunters>

1. Tinks 69

2. Buck Call (I think it was called a hardwood grunter)

3. Some sort of cylinder call which sounds like a doe in heat (so they tell me).

Is any of this stuff really neccessary? Will any of it actually attract deer?

Thanks,

Scoots

I have found that the doe in heat products will run the does off sometimes...if you run the bait off then bucks might/might not show up...ive use the primos long can with some success and know others that have too....as far as a grunt call the primos buck roar is pretty good...i have seen one and dont know the name of it but will find out tomorrow but it sounds very authentic ....best advice is dont use anything to aggressive or excessively, becasue then it doesnt sound natural

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
tinks will work, the grunt call has never worked for me and i have heard that the doe in a can will work. you hunting in florida or alabama?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have learned that it all depends on the deer,I have grunted at bucks and some come running to me,some go the other way and some I have seen act like they don't even care,I have personaly had the best luck with a rattle bag all year long.early season too.but don't get to aggresive and don't do it real often,they will usually go around and get downwind and slip in.hope this helps...good luck

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've had good luck with the grunt and the can call! Also, you might try a good set of rattling horns or rattle bag, this has worked pretty well for me. But as stated above, not too much so it is realistic. Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
My advice...take it all back and buy a better seat cushion. The Tinks is OK to use, but I will not use a grunt, rattle, or can here because I have never had any positive success from them, but have had much negative response...like the deer bolting from the sound. My opinion is that our buck to doe ratio is way off so they don't need to be aggressive with grunting and rattling. Now, I won't say they are not effective here, but your best bet is to get on a travel or feeding route and sit tight. And, don't forget about eliminating your scent.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have used the can on several occasions with good success. I have found that the does are not scared off by it at all and even bucks that are not in rut yet really pay no attention to the can. But those bucks that are within hearing distance and are actively looking for hot does the can works great. I have found that the more aggressive I have been with the can the better my results have been. During the rut I ALWAYS have a Primos can with me.

I have never had any results with buck grunts. I do not believe that grunts are worth while unless you are hunting managed land where the buck to doe ratio is near 1 to 2 or 1 to 1. The buck to doe ratio on most public land is more like 1 to 20 so they do not have to go far to find hot does and they almost never have to fight other bucks for does.

The only scent I have ever seen with my own eyes work on a deer has been Trails End 307. The 9 point I shot last year in Blackwater had his nose sniffing the wick when I shot him. He happened to be my best buck ever and was big enough that he would qualify for the Florida buck registry.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have never used the little can or long can so i couldn't comment on those two.

But, there is a hole on the bottom that you cover with your finger and flip it over to make the sound. Remember that this call works completely on gravity and lifting or lowering the can while it is bleating will change the tone of the call. You can actually use it to make a variety of doe bleats from short contact bleats to the long estrous bleats by varying how you move the can. You can flip it with a sharp "jolt" to make a short quick bleat, flip it and let it play out and raise your hand quickly at the end to add emphasis to the call etc... etc...

·
Tall Sexy Guy
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
countryjwh (1/21/2010)tinks will work, the grunt call has never worked for me and i have heard that the doe in a can will work. you hunting in florida or alabama?
I'm hunting in Florida. Specifically, Santa Rosa county.

BTW, is there a difference between the Tinks 69 in the can vs. the liquid you soak the little tags in???

Scoots

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
scootman (1/22/2010)
countryjwh (1/21/2010)tinks will work, the grunt call has never worked for me and i have heard that the doe in a can will work. you hunting in florida or alabama?
I'm hunting in Florida. Specifically, Santa Rosa county.

BTW, is there a difference between the Tinks 69 in the can vs. the liquid you soak the little tags in???

Scoots
Only difference I think is the concentration of the liquid. The can i think is more water base due to having the aersol to spray it out. The bottle is straight love juice lol

·
Super Moderator
19,822 Posts
With this being your first year leave the grunt call at the house and if you do take the can call use it very little.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Splittine (1/22/2010)With this being your first year leave the grunt call at the house and if you do take the can call use it very little.
+1

Ive been hunting for a few years now and im still unsure of how to properly call a buck with mine. Only time i use mine is when i see a deer in the distnce walking away. Ill give it a burr...burr...burr.. and they usually come looking. Once they turn around dont hit it again though. because once youve turned them around they become the hunter and they will pin point you faster than you can blink.

·
Registered
109 Posts
1) <U>Tinks</U> - TAKE IT BACK and get your $$$ back ASAP!!!! That FAKE crap just runs the deer off (bucks and does). Take back any other attractant scent while you're at it...Total waste of money in this part of the country.

2) <U>Grunt</U> - Use it. It won't work all the time, but it does work depending on the buck's mode that day. DON'T grunt too much...Thats most people's mistake.

3) <U>'The Can' (Doe Bleat)</U> - I've had theMOST success with this than any other thing (call or attractant). Again, don't over use it, and it won't always work. BUT, I've called in at least 10 bucks in South AL with The Can...Not all shooters, but a couple were.

This time of year, in this part of the country, the combination of a doe bleat followed by a couple grunts can really bring 'em in. That simulates a buck trailing a hot doe. If a big buck is in hearing distance, then he would more than likely come check out what's going on in HIS territory.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
jspooney (1/21/2010).....but your best bet is to get on a travel or feeding route and sit tight. And, don't forget about eliminating your scent.
For a beginner, this above statement is your best option by far. Trust me, you can really screw-up by grunting too much, doe bleating too much, and putting all that FAKE scent out in the woods...with the FAKE scent being the worse part. Its just a bad idea for a rookie to start out deer hunting like that.

Work on....reducing your human scent (you can NEVER eliminate it), finding travel paths, scrape lines,or just areasthat deer generally always hang-out, and sitting a LONG time (increases your odds). If you do these things and forget that other stuff, then you'll be waaaay better off.

Again, Good Luck!

·
Registered
870 Posts
I would recommend always carrying a grunt call, if anything just to use to stop a deer if he is walking too fast to get a good shot off. I have not had much luck calling bucks down here, but like others said, I think it is always better to be conservative, and when using the grunt softer is better.

Also, you should always be hunting downwind, but remember that deer will try their best to come in downwind from the calls and scents, so when using them you almost have to hunt the opposite direction of what you would be normally. Just make sure you can see a ways downwind from you if you are using them. Additionally, I would just use them sparingly when hunting a normal spot rather than plan a hunt just to use calls and scents, if that makes scents, ha.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You need to spend some time in the woods and just learn it the hit or miss method. It is always best to team up with a more experienced hunter so that you can be taught the basics, but I have been hunting a long time and Iseem to be a little more lucky than most of my friends. But, I can tell you this: you will never have them completly figured out! What works with one deer won't with another. Age has some role in it, but I have seen mature bucks act plain stupid, and young bucks that acted like the bull of the woods. Scent does work on the right animal, but the next one that comes along will bust you in a heart beat. I have killed bucks six different states using scent and calls, but I scared off one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen this year in Ohio the first time I put horns together. I have killed several bucks by rattlin them in. Everyone has their opinion on what works and what don't. Its the same with fishing. Some people live and die by one bait, and the next person will swear that it won't catch a fish. Spend the time to see how the animals act where you hunt. Listen to the does on the food plots and the bucks that come in with them. Learn to echo that and you will have a better chance with a call than just blowing it like a tuba. Another thing to remember is that if you have animals on the property you are hunting you probably don't need to do anything. Like someone else suggested, find the food source or the bedding area, and you will kill deer. And, when the rut comes in hard, throw everything I just told you out the window because you might kill the buck of your dreams in you back yard. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts