Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For several years, I was under the impression the menhaden in Texar were "nipping on the top" only pre dawn and just after dawn(and therefore catchable with a throw net). Then someone told me you can net them any time of the day this time of year?

Please offer your opinion and experience please! Thanks.............

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
D Woodley and I used to get them pre-sunup off the trestle. Got your blood pumping running with two five gallon buckets full of shad and a 20# throw-net a while being chased down by a 500 ton howling locomotive!

.. but I've posted the menhaden in East River Bayou a bunch they're there all the time and all day. Gonna go load up next time I see them for the BFT times this fall.

:mmmbeer

Stressless

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
neckred? (9/25/2008)they were thick in Texar a month ago, kinda thinning out now.
a month ago you could fill the frezzer with one throw of the cast net. now your lucky to get a couple spending double the time. my frezzer is full!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
need2fish (9/25/2008)Anyway to snag live menhaden other than castnet?
I never seem to snag them but have had them get tangled in my fishing line on two occasions......dangle a rat nest in the water and maybe they'll get snagged......kidding of course

1 - 7 of 7 Posts