Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am thinking of installing a set of automatic trim tabs. I have a keywest 186 sportsman with a140hp susuki 4stroke and a set of dolfins.Need some idea of how well these will work. Trying to save money on not getting the electronic ajustable type. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
When you get this cat skinned, let me know. I've got a Key West too (1720 PRO) that is a beeyotch to trim out - even with a Dolfin. If I've got a livewell full, then it feels like I've got an anchor hanging off the back of the boat.

Once on plane though, the boat rides EXTREMELY well. Also handles good cruising through the shallows at slow speed. It's just the planing out that is difficult.

I'm planning to do some major work to try and correct this over the next few months - put the batteries in the center console and relocate/add a live well in FRONT of the center console (where the cooler normally is). I'm hoping that by moving the mass of the weight around in the boat that I will change the center of gravity and cause the boat to stop sagging in the rear when accelerating. I guess I could just install some trim tabs, but I really don't see any sense on having tabs on a small 17' skiff.

I also don't want to get too much weight forward or else the boat will porpoise.

If all of this works, I'll make a dry-locker out of the existing battery compartment and the existing live well. It'd be nice to have a "tackle" locker back there anyway.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
More horespower! Oh Yea - now, we're talking!

But seriously, the boat has a 90hp Yamaha and that is the "recommended" horsepower rating. 120 hp is the maximum rated hp.

Honestly, when I'm all by myself the boat does just fine. But, when I've got a passenger (that wants to sit beside me) that's when the problems occur. Or, like I said if the the live well is full.

I've played around with the weight distribution and by putting some extra weight in the front of the console things get better. So, that's why I'm considering moving some of the mass from the rear towards the center.

I also planning a trip to a propeller shop (accuprop) to see if the pitch of my prop is the optimal one for my boat and engine.

Also, like I've said, I'm 99.99% happy with the boat and this is just a small annoyance that, if removed, would make me 100% happy with the boat.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
They blew up

They blew up? Tab's DON'T BLOW UP! They just quit working. You must have had Lenco's?

Lenco's get water in them. electric and water don't work well together.

Bennett is the only tabs I will install. Yes it's more work to install them. Yes they react slower [not a bad thing]. But the support of the company is the 1st class and no other company in the marine industry is better. They could all take a page out of Bennett's book for improvement.

Plenty of people have gotten FREE replacement parts when the system was out of warranty. Plenty of people have gotten overnight delivery for parts when then needed to go fishing the next weekend. Not that you will need parts for a Loooong time.

Tabs will make a whole different boat in the way it handles. FACT!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had a Key West 1720 before I bought my Key West 2300. My 1720 had the same problem of feeling butt heavy on take-off. What I found was the motor was not trimming down far enough, I moved the rod lower and that helped. Also when I added my trolling motor, placing the battery under the center console help a little. You can always take your wife fishing they make great ballast.

·
Registered
304 Posts
60 Hertz, I've got a KW 1720 too, although mine is a CC and not the pro version. Mine has a 90 Etec and I have two batteries in the console with only a tackle box in the rear battery compartment. Even with the livewell full in the other rear compartment, I have no problem with trimming and the ride is really good for a small 17'. I have a 17" viper SS prop and no tabs or fin. You should definitely look at moving the batteries to the middle and see about your prop options, and engine height. Maybe yours wasn't rigged with the best engine height for performance? You shouldn't have to use a fin for your setup. The right prop can really make a difference as well as the engine height.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Also, I forgot to mention but I think a 17 pitch SS prop with heavy cupping is most common for your rig. Stiletto and Turbo are really good wheels for the money if you wind up getting a different prop.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Thanks for the information :bowdown- it's people like you, offering good advise that makes this forum priceless.

I'm thinking that relocating the battery is probably going to be the best option - & least expensive.

If that doesn't work, then I'll try changing the location of the live well &/or changing the prop. Sadly, I have no idea who the manufacturer of my prop is - much less the pitch. I do know that it is stainless and a friend of mine was really stoked when he saw this particular prop on my boat - he was like "dang dude, that's a fine prop that they put on this boat." There used to be a manufacturer's decal on it, but it woreoff many hours ago.

I've heard a lot of people on the forum recommendAccuprop, so hopefully a visit to them willdetermine if this prop is the optimal one for the boat & motor combination.

·
Registered
304 Posts
60.......is your engine the 2 stroke yammie or a 4 stroke? I was assuming its a 2 stroke. Look at your prop real closely inside and out and see if you can find the numbers on it. They should be stamped somewhere that you can see.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, I can honestly say that trim tabs were one of the best add ons that I ever put on my bay boat. I have a 20' Stratos CC and Lenco tabs. I've had the tabs on the boat for > 4yrs. They will help you get on plane faster and will also help plane with heavier loads. One of the best benefits is the ability to compensate for side to side listing or leaning with uneven loads. As for the automatic type...I doubt you are getting your money's worth. If you are going to install tabs, you will be more satisfied with your investment by going with the fully adjustable type. I've had good experiences with both Lenco and Bennett. Bennet does have good customer service as does Lenco. You may find that a set of fully adjustable tabs are less expensive than you thought. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts