Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #004f80; COLOR: #004f80" SIZE=1> <DIV id=post_message_10966>Mark, Burt and I braved the rough seas and cold weather for some golden tiles. We left Fort Morgan at 6:00 AM and headed south. Seas were about 2 1/2' and gradually died down to about 1 1/2'. Nice and sunny all day in the mid 50s. We ended up with a boat load of goldens, small snowies and blue tiles. Except for some commercial boats we did not see any one else out there.</DIV>Joe</DIV></DIV>Sunrise on the way out</DIV>
</DIV></DIV>Burt with a big one</DIV>
</DIV></DIV>Mark </DIV>
</DIV>

·
Registered
172 Posts
what Joe didnt tell ya is that

-Burt is holding up his first Golden Tilefish evah. 25 lbs and change.

-Joe is holding up his biggest Golden Tile evah. 30 lbs even.

-I'm holding up my biggest GTile evah. 24 lbs and change.

We also got about total of a dozen that were over 20 lbs and the remainder of our 60 Tile limit was 5-10 lb fish.

Some asshole had fished out the Snowie spot a few days before so we only got one fish there even though Joe & Burt had fished there (and a few other spots)a couple weeks before, getting their limit, and left them biting hard. Unfortunately, newbies to the deepdrop game dont realize that the trick is to pick a few fish, move to your next spot and pick a few fish there, lather-rinse-repeat. If you stay on one spot and hammer it all day you've fucked it for weeks to come.

Joe, thanks again for a great day on the water aboard the Plan B. Burt, great fishing with ya! Lets kill some more fish soon.

Catch

p.s. my neighbors and evabody at work is happier than a pig in shit. For once they're eating in style during Lent! They each gota fish and I saved the biggest two fer me.

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,988 Posts
Awesome Fish!

... the remainder of our 60 Tile limit .... newbies to the deepdrop game dont realize that the trick is to pick a few fish, move to your next spot and pick a few fish there, lather-rinse-repeat.....

How many spots did you hit to get 60?

(Just trying to figure out the acceptable number of fish to harvest per spot.)

·
Registered
172 Posts
swhiting (3/2/2010)Awesome Fish!

... the remainder of our 60 Tile limit .... newbies to the deepdrop game dont realize that the trick is to pick a few fish, move to your next spot and pick a few fish there, lather-rinse-repeat.....

How many spots did you hit to get 60?

(Just trying to figure out the acceptable number of fish to harvest per spot.)

Burt & Joe - we did what, 20-30 or so drifts? :doh Cain't remember zackly.

Catch

·
Registered
172 Posts
No, not finicky. It's clear that some idiots who are either greedy or new to the deepdrop game, or both, wiped that spot out.

That place wont recover for weeks to come, if not months.

Catch

·
Registered
277 Posts
sorry, not meaning to bust balls, but if you "got your limit" at that one spot, how do you know the fish you "left biting" didn't finish off the "asshole"'s limit?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
hit man (3/3/2010)sorry, not meaning to bust balls, but if you "got your limit" at that one spot, how do you know the fish you "left biting" didn't finish off the "asshole"'s limit?

That's what I was wondering.How do you know how many were left after you hit the hole without a camera. .

·
Registered
172 Posts
hit man (3/3/2010)sorry, not meaning to bust balls, but if you "got your limit" at that one spot, how do you know the fish you "left biting" didn't finish off the "asshole"'s limit?
Thank you for your concern.

Let's put this in context - here is what I actuallyposted:

Some asshole had fished out the Snowie spot a few days before so we only got one fish there even though Joe & Burt had fished there (and a few other spots)a couple weeks before, getting their limit, and left them biting hard.

You folks must be assumingJoe & Burtrepeatedly hammered one small area the size of half a football field. I didn't say that - I said they fished that spot and a few others. Also when I say "spot", it could mean an area that is over a square mile in size.

Read the rest of my post - it says we pick one or two fish per drift and then move nearby for the next drift. That is not fishing outa spot by any definition.

The fact remains that some clueless or greedy SOB fished out one particular grouper spot before we got there.

Happy Wednesday,

Catch

·
Registered
277 Posts
sorry, i just don't understand. I have never deep dropped, so maybe i am ignorant. I have however read many times that "they don't release well from that depth". So my questions are when you have your limit, how long do you continue to fish before leaving them "biting hard"? And can you really "fish out" a square mile of bottom while staying in your limit, because I have been snapper fishing before and the bite turn off for no apparent reason, did we catch them all?

·
Registered
549 Posts
quote from catch all: Some asshole had fished out the Snowie spot a few days before so we only got one fish there even though Joe & Burt had fished there (and a few other spots)a couple weeks before, getting their limit, and left them biting hard. Unfortunately, newbies to the deepdrop game dont realize that the trick is to pick a few fish, move to your next spot and pick a few fish there, lather-rinse-repeat. If you stay on one spot and hammer it all day you'vedelete it for weeks to come.

Catch

p.s. my neighbors and evabody at work is happier than a pig in shit. For once they're eating in style during Lent! They each gota fish and I saved the biggest two fer me.[/quote] Mark If you read Joe posts afew weeks ago you would notice that the commerical boats were there. And I am sure they have been fishing that area for many years. We have learned to share with the good and the BAD. Capt.Gene Team RECESS

·
Registered
172 Posts
hit man (3/3/2010)sorry, i just don't understand. I have never deep dropped, so maybe i am ignorant. I have however read many times that "they don't release well from that depth". So my questions are when you have your limit, how long do you continue to fish before leaving them "biting hard"? And can you really "fish out" a square mile of bottom while staying in your limit, because I have been snapper fishing before and the bite turn off for no apparent reason, did we catch them all?
Hit Man - PLEASE re-read my posts again.:banghead Please enlighten me where I said they continued to fish after they had caught their limit? "Left them biting hard" means that right up until the moment you catch your limit, the fishing action had not slacked off or stopped, indicating that there are plenty more fish down there in that spot or area. Capisce?

And in regards to Snowies and Golden Tiles, you are not fishing out that spot if you spread out your fishing effort over a wide area. I have seen newbies make the mistake of hammering a small piece of structure, removing all the fish from that spot.

Gene, I knew Joe had said there were commercials in that general area too. But regardless if it was a commercial or recreational guy who wiped that spot out, they were greedy ifit was done bya commercial and dumbass ignorant and/or greedy if it was done by a recreational.

I saw the same crap happen on the East coast and thats why I rarely give out GPS numbers or even a depth I was fishingto someone unless I know them personally very well and trust their common sense.

With the East coast's ridiculously low limits I can understand, but not agree, with the greed that sometimes overcomes bottom fishermen when fish are biting. But with the Gulf's abundance and high limits, there is simply no reason to hammer a small spot hard and wipe it outunless it's out of stupidity or arrogance.

Catch

·
Registered
277 Posts
Capisce? I guess not. I am really not trying to piss anyone off, I just don't understand how if I stop fishing at my limit, and the next guy that fishes that "square mile" of gulf doesn't catch anything, how do I know that "I" didn't catch the last fish there? I apologize if I am not reading correctly, as I missed the "few other spots" in the original, but when you say you pick up 1 or 2 per drift, then move a little, but call a spot a sq mile, it doesn't sound like the fish are that concentrated that a guy could sit and "fish out" a "spot" like he could snapper fishing on a car body or something. Just trying to understand, by the way, beautiful fish.

·
Registered
172 Posts
hit man (3/4/2010)Capisce? I guess not. I am really not trying to piss anyone off, I just don't understand how if I stop fishing at my limit, and the next guy that fishes that "square mile" of gulf doesn't catch anything, how do I know that "I" didn't catch the last fish there? I apologize if I am not reading correctly, as I missed the "few other spots" in the original, but when you say you pick up 1 or 2 per drift, then move a little, but call a spot a sq mile, it doesn't sound like the fish are that concentrated that a guy could sit and "fish out" a "spot" like he could snapper fishing on a car body or something. Just trying to understand, by the way, beautiful fish.
Hitman - you say you aren't trying to piss anybody off. But your persistent public nitpicking and failure to PM me& ask for a better understanding of the issue suggests otherwise.

Catch

1 - 20 of 35 Posts