Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time out in the yaks. Left our dock on canal for a short paddle out to sound in no wind conditions, light drizzle and cloud cover. Started out in the grassflats on the north side in about 2 paddle blades deep water and just drifted. I have fished a lot at night before on boats and what amazed me the most about this kayaking is how quite it is and how your senses really come alive. I felt like I was stalking fish, listening to every ripple and splash on the water, feeling the wind changes, different smells, etc, etc. My son had drifted about 50 yrds away, and we could communicate by whispering.

So we are about 45 minuted into the trip, most of the time spent getting used to our yaks, changing the positions of seats and gear when we finally got down to concentrating on fishing. We had set our tacke up for trout and where using 8lb line with 12' leader and shrimp lure spiced up with a frozen shrimp. I had a popper float right at the barrel swivel to keep the bait suspended and the crabs at bay. I also broke a green chem light, weighted it and tossed it off on a float about 30 ft from yak.

Started to see some small fish shadows around the chem light after a minute. Must be fish so I see this as a good sign. Well, we sit and sit. Pin fish cleanng our frozen shrimp. We decide to head over to some docks with lights and fish the edge of the light zone. Catch some trash fish and see a bunch of crabs on the bottom.

Then I remember a post where a guy said me would aggitate the water for a couple of minutes to stimulate a feeding response. I thought I would give it a try. Took my other fishing pole and swirled it around in the water real fast in a figure eight pattern. I also had my son start popping his float. That's when the action started. It was like someone rang the dinner bell. Shadows started darting out from under the dock. I put on a lure and started cranking through the death zone and instantly hooked a 12 inch spec. Son rigged up same and we took turns catching and releasing for a solid 30 minutes.

Then it stopped.....the wind picked up and it rain started. We headed home and cleaned up the gear. Learned a lot about setting up kayak. While taking the first trip at night complicated things, it also helped us straighten everythng out. Gear location and access to it is really important at night. If you can find it easy at night, it is easier during the day.

Pretty fun couple of hours.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Make sure you re well lit at night,

Boats have a hard time seeing Yaks.

I have a Visipole with light and flag, also reflective tape on sides of Yak.

·
Out of Towner
67 Posts
Then I remember a post where a guy said me would aggitate the water for a couple of minutes to stimulate a feeding response. I thought I would give it a try. Took my other fishing pole and swirled it around in the water real fast in a figure eight pattern. I also had my son start popping his float. That's when the action started. It was like someone rang the dinner bell. Shadows started darting out from under the dock. I put on a lure and started cranking through the death zone and instantly hooked a 12 inch spec. Son rigged up same and we took turns catching and releasing for a solid 30 minutes.
Been wanting to try that ever since I read that post! haha... Cool stuff...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.