Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Provocateur
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently started fishing for pompano in the surf on Navarre beach, and I am wondering when if I need to try to fish for them around high tide?? I had some luck last week, pulling in one almost every day. I have noticed my lines get hit right around 5pm. Sand fleas have been a bit difficult to find, but I did manage to get a small pompano to hit shrimp. Is the early am hours better for pompano? I haven't been getting any bites after sundown, so I quit around 7pm. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I think the interesting thing about fishing to many is that the number of variables involved make it difficult to master. That said, here's what has consistently work best for me when targeting pompano...

Tide - Incoming
Location - Rip between bars
Time - Early and late
Surf - Medium
Bait - Sand fleas and fresh dead shrimp
Tackle - Fluoro pomp rig with attractors and circle hooks.

Catch 'em up!

·
Provocateur
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the interesting thing about fishing to many is that the number of variables involved make it difficult to master. That said, here's what has consistently work best for me when targeting pompano...

Tide - Incoming
Location - Rip between bars
Time - Early and late
Surf - Medium
Bait - Sand fleas and fresh dead shrimp
Tackle - Fluoro pomp rig with attractors and circle hooks.

Catch 'em up!
Appreciate the advice. I'm still trying to grasp where I am in the surf, or where I should be. I've read the post about learning the surf, which was very helpful, but I've not yet mastered locating the rips. I've only been learning to fish for pompano for about two weeks. Thanks, Pompano Joe.

·
Provocateur
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pm me next time you head out there if youd like a fishing bud. Navarre is my neck o the woods
That sounds great. I just came in. The surf was pretty rough this afternoon. I ended up with two bluefish, one ladyfish, and a catfish at dark. I quit after I brought in the catfish. So...I guess I have more bait now. I might venture back out and try the pier. Is cutbait good to use off the pier?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Search youtube for a guy named richtroxler. He does 2 or 3 videos about reading the surf, and explaining waves, cuts, sandbars, etc.

·
Provocateur
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good information here, bumping back to the top with the weather warming up!
Definitely. I learned so much in the fall, and caught plenty of fish after posting this topic, including the winter months. I can't get enough of surf fishing now. Oh, except today I heard about the cobia showing up, so it's time to board the boat and go after them.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'm thinking about heading out to Navarre Beach Saturday morning to give Pompano a try for the first time this year, anybody have a recommendation on a particular beach access is better than others? I'll be taking my 2 boys who have never caught a Pompano! Looking for good fishing and as few tourists as possible!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts