Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to get a certain transducer to mount in the hull of my yak or can I use the one my hummingbird came with?

·
Wet azz
33 Posts
You can use the one that came with it. There are several different ways to mount it but I highly recommend using duct seal. $2-3 and easy as pie for the install.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response guys. Would the duct seal be better then using that "amazing goop" stuff? I've heard that works well and already have some

·
Wet azz
33 Posts
In my opinion yes. No worries about bubbles under the transducer during install and easy to move around the boat or tale put entirely if need be when using the duct seal. Plus you don't have to worry about finding a flat spot to mount. You can build up the area with it

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, I think Ima try that out. Looks easy enough, although I watched a video on it and the guy sais to put water in the duct seal "well" that the transducer sits in. Is this necessary?
Thanks a lot for the info.

Its towards the end of the video where he sais that.

·
Wet azz
33 Posts
Cool, I think Ima try that out. Looks easy enough, although I watched a video on it and the guy sais to put water in the duct seal "well" that the transducer sits in. Is this necessary?
Thanks a lot for the info.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEZ9_C1iKP0
Its towards the end of the video where he sais that.
Not needed but then again, ive never tried it that way to see if there is a difference. Everyone i know that uses duct seal, uses it dry

·
Registered
361 Posts
I went with the marine goop but I'm sure the duct seal will work fine. The only reason really being because I heard some had problems with the duct seal drying out/not holding permanently.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So its ok for the transducer to have duct seal between it and the hull instead of having it directly on the bottom of the yak?

·
Wet azz
33 Posts
Yes. Basically i took about half of the duct seal and started pressing it into channel in the bottom and them press the transducer down into. It holds well. I have sprayed mine out numerous times, turned upside down, and hit it countless times and it has never jarred loose.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes. Basically i took about half of the duct seal and started pressing it into channel in the bottom and them press the transducer down into. It holds well. I have sprayed mine out numerous times, turned upside down, and hit it countless times and it has never jarred loose.
Thats awesome, great info. Thanks to all of you guys for the help.:thumbsup:

·
Wet azz
33 Posts
Down scan here
To follow-up further about DSI because this thread will wind up there. "Can I use DSI through the hull?"

Yes, you can. Yes, it will affect signal quality. No, the quality of the signal loss is not so much that renders the device useless. I'm not a sonar reading guru, so, i don't notice the effects of signal loss.

Would it be better in the water? Sure, but for me, the less i have causing any drag, the better.

·
Registered
361 Posts
To follow-up further about DSI because this thread will wind up there. "Can I use DSI through the hull?"

Yes, you can. Yes, it will affect signal quality. No, the quality of the signal loss is not so much that renders the device useless. I'm not a sonar reading guru, so, i don't notice the effects of signal loss.

Would it be better in the water? Sure, but for me, the less i have causing any drag, the better.
Wish I knew this before getting my elite-4. Saw a lot of folks saying DSI wouldn't be worth it for a thru-hull mount but I guess the described amount of signal lost was exaggerated.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts