Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trim on my throttle works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't which can make it a pain when approaching shallow water and when getting up on plane. The trim button on the side of the motor always works so where should I start looking for the problem with the trim switch in the throttle?

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I would suspect that the switch itself is bad.Without seeing it I'm not sure, but I would suspect that the switch has a connector inside or just below the throttle handle. If you can get to that connector, unplug it and use a meter tosee if you are getting any power to that point. There should be three wires.?

If none of the wires show a current then the problem is likely "upstream" of the switch.

If one of the wires is showing current then this will bethe common wire and the others will be the up and down trim.Using a short piece of insulated wire cross between the common and one of the other wires in the connector. If the trim operates then the problem is in the switch. Otherwise the problem is "downstream" of the switch.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alanbarck (26/05/2010)I would suspect that the switch itself is bad.Without seeing it I'm not sure, but I would suspect that the switch has a connector inside or just below the throttle handle. If you can get to that connector, unplug it and use a meter tosee if you are getting any power to that point. There should be three wires.?

If none of the wires show a current then the problem is likely "upstream" of the switch.

If one of the wires is showing current then this will bethe common wire and the others will be the up and down trim.Using a short piece of insulated wire cross between the common and one of the other wires in the connector. If the trim operates then the problem is in the switch. Otherwise the problem is "downstream" of the switch.
Thank you! That should give me enough information to take it apart and check it out tomorrow. Part of the problem is going to be the fact it is intermintent so I'll have to get it to fail and then run the test you're talking about. Maybe I'll be lucky and just find a loose connection when I take it apart, we'll see but again thanks for the advice. I feel alot more confident taking it a part now knowing a direction in troubleshooting to take!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts