1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking thru a list of state records and I saw this

Shark, Thresher, Alopias spp.
544 lbs. 8 oz., Destin, 9-15-84, James Weil

About a month ago I was talking with a friend about thresher sharks and he said he remembers an old timer said he used to get them off Pcola beach in the winter. They are probably the best eating shark there is and I've caught a couple in California but I thought the water was too warm here, but i guess in the winter?

I also used to babysit threshers in Cali

·
Registered
412 Posts
Three or four years ago we pulled a thresher to the boat for release, SE of Destin. We didn't think to take a pic or figure out if they're edible!!

Vickie

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stringle (1/16/2010)Three or four years ago we pulled a thresher to the boat for release, SE of Destin. We didn't think to take a pic or figure out if they're edible!!

Vickie
Do you remember what time of yr it was and what you got it on?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Team Bloody Waters (1/16/2010)
stringle (1/16/2010)Three or four years ago we pulled a thresher to the boat for release, SE of Destin. We didn't think to take a pic or figure out if they're edible!!

Vickie
Wow, that's a hard question. If memory serves, it was hot. We were trolling for wahoo. It was later in the afternoon. Let me call my bud and get the rest!:letsdrink

Vickie

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stringle (1/16/2010)
Team Bloody Waters (1/16/2010)

Vickie
Wow, that's a hard question. If memory serves, it was hot. We were trolling for wahoo. It was later in the afternoon. Let me call my bud and get the rest!:letsdrink

Vickie
thanks! I remember my friend said the guy used to get them off the beach in the winter, so you were offshore a ways in warmer weather

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I believe there are 2 of the 3 speciesof thresher sharks in the gulf, the "common" Thresher Shark Alopias vulpinus and the Bigeye Thresher Alopias superciliosus. Both are uncommon with the bigeye seeming to be more prevalent in deeper waters with habits similar to swordfish, staying deep during the day and rising to the surface at night. We hooked what I believe was a thresher last July while daydropping for swordfish in 1000ft of water. The shark broke off but chafed the leader nearly all of its 15ft length. At that depth and given the history of bigeye threshers in the gulf it seems like the logical species by sheer length alone. My Shimano rep told me that he and clients of his have caught 4 bigeye threshers while swordfishing in the last several years with fish up to 15ft total length.

As far as targeting them in our region, I don't think its probable but if done enough in the right areas may give one up. IfI as going to target them I would fish areas like the steps, spur, etc in 900+ft depths with whole fish such as spanish mackeral and such.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The funniest thing was looking at the state records, Pensacola was represented by largest croaker and hardtail(bluerunner)

Thats just is not right! We really gotta represent.....no I retract that last statement, We really do represent the area in top notch charters and rec. fisherman. I F'n love the Gulf Coast!

·
Registered
171 Posts
just wondering if you are from the San Diego area of CA, cus you did have a pic of a very nice white sea bass on your post? the company I work for is based from there and some of the guys from there tell me that the best white sea bass fishing is south of San Diego.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yea I'm with Travis and Chris...seen one caught trolling in the Summer, and another video of one billfishing wacking at baits with it's tail

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WaterRat (1/17/2010)just wondering if you are from the San Diego area of CA, cus you did have a pic of a very nice white sea bass on your post? the company I work for is based from there and some of the guys from there tell me that the best white sea bass fishing is south of San Diego.
No I'm not from there but I used to do alot of work down there and the rest of the coast of California collecting tissue samples(fish)contamination studies.You can get white seabass from mexico to north of San Francisco. I caught a few small seabass in san diego bay on lite tackle maybe 3-5 lb range on the grass beds.All the big ones I caught were out of Tomales Bay.

The threshers fight and taste alot better than white seabass believe it or not. They like to jump like a mako.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Xiphius (1/17/2010)Yea I'm with Travis and Chris...seen one caught trolling in the Summer, and another video of one billfishing wacking at baits with it's tail
I saw that video too. If im not mistaken Tommy aired it on his show

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
About 20 years ago , we saw one on Perdido Key , Surfing at The Bungalows ... certain it was a Thresher , because after seeing it I researched it to see what the heck it was !! ... Long tail protruding out of the water , at first we were like WTF ?? ... had never seen anything IN the water like it before , and we had numerous Shark encounters there before :doh

·
Registered
386 Posts
i long time ago there were 2 caught off the gulf shores pier. someone posted old pics on the pier forum and i thought it was crazy if i can find em i will post em up here.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pourman1 (1/17/2010)About 20 years ago , we saw one on Perdido Key , Surfing at The Bungalows ... certain it was a Thresher , because after seeing it I researched it to see what the heck it was !! ... Long tail protruding out of the water , at first we were like WTF ?? ... had never seen anything IN the water like it before , and we had numerous Shark encounters there before :doh
You wouldn't happen to remember what time of year you saw it?

·
Registered
456 Posts
My dad was on the Gulf Shores Pier one day in the winter about 15 years ago when two came in a fed on some bait that was on top of the water. He said it was the most interesting things he has ever seen from the pier.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts