Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
thats horrible. but its called darwinism and it sucks. nature can be a pain in the a$$ sometimes. coyote fur makes nice fishing lures

Reactions: Achim2

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
That's pitiful. Nature can be really harsh sometimes.
Yeh, one doesn't go by stand and offer any kind of shot that I don't throw some lead his way.

·
Registered
524 Posts
A couple of points: First coyotes are expanding their territory due to a lack of other predators e.g. red wolves and (Florida) panthers. Both are gone or nearly largely due to human impacts. As outdoors men we should understand and appreciate that coyotes have a role. With all things in balance I would contend that a healthy deer herd would be in part a result of at least one apex predator species to winnow out the weak and infirm.

Second point; you will never kill them all and when you kill a dominant animals another will take its territory.

P_

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
dadgum that sucks. over 2 hrs... why didn't he run?? i woulda thought it would take way more than what looks like 1, but maybe both, yotes to take down and kill a buck like that. i can understand fawns or a little doe but dang. and yeah, i guess we'll never kill 'em all, and they do serve a purpose, but that won't keep me from shooting (at) every one i see.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
As outdoors men we should understand and appreciate that coyotes have a role. P_
Yep, in the crosshairs of my scope.....:whistling:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I'm not calling BS on this but that deer in my opinion was either tame or hurt. A wild deer would have never stood there like that unless he was already injured before this started. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
With all things in balance I would contend that a healthy deer herd would be in part a result of at least one apex predator species to winnow out the weak and infirm.
did that buck look weak and/or infirmed to you? he didn't look that way to me. at least before he got mauled. sarcasm aside - i understand the point you're trying to make. but the world or the ecosystem ain't gonna miss the small percentage hunters get a chance to take out.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
always when seen....next might be your favorite pet, or even you or a child:(

·
Registered
30 Posts
We don't know what was going on inside that buck though. Broken ankle that we can't see? Respiratory infection and he'd already run as far as he could? Do other mammals suffer from adult onset schizophrenia? He doesn't look like your average dinner for coyotes.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Very sadnice but thatI does seem odd. I would seem to think that there was something wrong with him maybe sickness or dead tired of running otherwise he would have ran away from them. But then again I could be completely wrong.

·
OSOK
4,165 Posts
I'm not calling BS on this but that deer in my opinion was either tame or hurt. A wild deer would have never stood there like that unless he was already injured before this started. Just my opinion.

I was thinking he may have been hit by a car/shot by hunter, those yotes look pretty mangy and not to healthy, I doubt they would ever try a deer that size if the deer was healthy

·
Registered
524 Posts
I should point out that I am talking in the main about coyotes in the wild. Those that are moving in to urban spaces like the ones walking down Calhoun in Destin should be "discouraged" from being there to say the least.

I am curious abot the photos as well, no way to know for sure but it seems as though the deer must have been compromised in some other way before the attack. It looks as though if it were not it would have no trouble holding off or escaping the coyotes.

It would also be interesting to know where the photos were taken, since a lot of research suggest that northern coyotes tend to hunt in packs like this more than their southern counterparts.

P_

·
Striper
171 Posts
holy cow those are awesome pics.....surely the deer was injured though. Maybe he was wore out from running from them or something i just dont see a coyote killing a big deer like that but maybe....either way if a coyote comes accross my path hes gettin a permanent parking ticket

1 - 20 of 60 Posts