Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I have seen this year are spikes and cowhorns. This one just came by and posed for a picture. He may have been barely legal, but he got a pass too.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm to the point that this may work. It's slowed us down a little but not bad. It's been fun when we're running a shorty to try and get the kids in front of it. We've seen a pile of short horn bucks so next year there might be a fair crop of shooters. Some of them will make it on to the next season along with the better bucks that always do. I've changed my mind on the doe tag deal. I don't like the way it's done. Most of them were for the east side. We've had several people that never hunt there come over and shoot a buch of does then go back to where they came from. They should spread it out a little more.

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,433 Posts
I see all these picture on here of small racked bucks people shoot, which may be why your only seeing spikes.
The cow horns need to be eliminated from the herd.
Gotta let'm grow

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
I see all these picture on here of small racked bucks people shoot, which may be why your only seeing spikes.
The cow horns need to be eliminated from the herd.
Gotta let'm grow

You are exactly right. I've seen several posts on here bragging about the number of bucks they've killed and they post pictures of 4 points and small 6s, then gripe in their next post that they aren't seeing any big bucks. Duh, not only are you killing the small bucks before they have a chance to grow but you are shooting the first buck you see when quite possibly a bigger one could be coming down that same trail 30 minutes later. It's happened to me many times.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I shoot the first shooter I see on public land. I hunt to feed the family. I pay for a lease to harvest the good ones. I will not pass on any legal buck on public land period. The idiots that survey or do the studies need to get into this era. If we could kill 1 doe per lic and able to buy another 1 or 2 and enforce a 3 or 4 point rule? I would gladly obide

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
However, that said, we have just now started seeing our decent bucks on camera and just started coming out in daytime as well!

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,987 Posts
Not everybody gives a chit about killing a big buck, I like eating them, so I'll be killing every one I feel like needs killin... When I wanna hunt horns, I'll jump in my truck and drive somewhere that I can do that.

I got a PM last week from someone on here bustin my balls over my "bragging" and little deer I've shot, doesn't bother me a bit, I post pics on here because I like to see others pics as well, it's nothing to with "bragging", it's seeing people here that I haven't seen in 20 years enjoying doing what they're doing.

If any of you horn hunters run out of what little meat yall have, and need any, give me a shout, I might be able to help ya out.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I am a meat hunter to but on that aspect with the whole 3 point on one side we will see bigger bucks which equal bigger body deer which equal more meat. I do wish we could shoot does on doe weekends. When I see doe after doe after doe after doe or can go shinning and see 60 does per buck something is a little wrong. I would love to shoot a wall hanger or even a respectable buck but I love deer meat way to much to pass a legal buck. Like I said previous though if I could try and harvest a doe or two during rifle I would let more small bucks walk. Plus then harvesting a doe or two would make it so much easier to take a kid or someone that you are introducing to hunting so possibly they might get one and not just get bored and give the whole thing up.

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,987 Posts
Not going to get into the point retriction criteria thing again. But it did NOT work in Mississippi, it took a few years to see it, but it actually HURT us. and will not work there either.

Long story short, point restrictions will allow good potential young bucks to be taken out, but allow spikes/cow horns/inferior bucks to walk.

Whatever the case is, I don't hunt in Florida anymore, so I don't have a dog in the hunt.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
With the new regs now, a legal buck is going down especially on public land...If your on private land then you can let them walk.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The point rule is partial deer management on public lands, even with the doe tags in BW the east end of BW north of hwy 4 is loaded up on slick heads, There are good bucks there, I love deer meat but where I hunt up there I'm not dragging a small buck that far, That's just me......But I am all for someone shooting what they want to.....Hunt like you want to and don't judge others for there harvests.... Treat other how you want to be treated in the woods

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought this picture posted this morning when I astarted this thread. He sure was close to being legal, but I don't take chances any more.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I thought this picture posted this morning when I astarted this thread. He sure was close to being legal, but I don't take chances any more.
If he makes it until next season that will probably be a nice looking deer next year. Heck he looks a little fat..... or husky :laughing:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts