Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont post much anymore but i wanted to share something that happened to me today. I know alot of people look at the PFF so i hope my story helps save someones life. Today i was hanging a lockon, getting ready for the bowseason opener. I put the ladder up, pulled my stand up with the stand hanger and secured it in place with a ratchet strap. The ratchet strap was the same one i used on this stand last season. It was a little weathered but seemed to be in perfect working order. I ratcheted it back and forth until it was taught, shook the stand and it was solid, and prepared to climb in the stand to trim some limbs. Right before i stepped into the stand something made me decide to give the ratchet one more crank to make 100% sure it was completely solid. As soon as i cranked it, the strap snapped and the stand slipped off the tree and fell!!! The elements had took their toll on the strap. Im lucky someone up above was watching out for me today!! Hopefully this post will help save someones life. Make sure you replace your ratchet straps after every season, use multiple straps or even better a chain & turnbuckle and always, always, always wear your safety harness! Your family deserves for you to come home!

Attachments

Registered
Thanks for the words of wisdom Ryan. Hope that you will post some hunting reports. Always enjoy reading about your adventures.

Auburn Grad - 1999
Gezz sculls.. Definitely don't want to read a story about you getting hurt. Glad you double checked it. I change mine out periodically also. A $5 strap is cheap insurance.

Thanks for the heads up.

Registered
very good advise! i had the same thing happen a few years back....then i started putting 2 on there as a safe measure

Registered
agree there are to many things that can go wrong with a ratchet strap. The springs often fail among the weathered strap. only chains and quick links for me. glad your ok.

***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
Great post!

Premium Member
Great post. Same thing happened to me a week ago. What's interesting is that it was only the second season on my strap as well and it appears it was the same kind of strap that you pictured. It was one if the straps that come two in a package from Walmart specifically for treestands. I had already purchased all new straps for all of my lock ons, but just happened to grab one of last years straps to hang my last stand. Luckily I still had the stand tied to the hanger so it never fell all the way to the ground. I put two straps per stand and they are only 15 bucks per 4 pack at Lowes. Well worth just buying new ones. With that said, folks please tie off to a safety climbing rope as soon as you leave the ground. If you do fall , maybe it won't be but a few feet til your harness saves your life.

Registered
Shouldn't have happened. Famous last words! Glad your OK. Failure is usually blamed on moisture, but it was the sunshine/UV. Properly made outdoor straps are made with treated nylon strands. Inferior outdoor straps are made with untreated strands then the straps are superficially treated. I dont think you can buy a properly UV treated strap at Lowes. Short story is back up any strap with a second and use a lifeline with Prussic knot / linemans strap as a last layer of fall protection. FYI I just finished paying a $6000 OSHA fine for improper fall protection equipment so needless to say I am now knowledgeable about straps and belts

Registered
Talking about these things on a forum is just one of the benefits that really may prevent a very bad accident! Thanks for the reminder. The exact same thing happened to me yesterday. I am glad you thought about posting it. Great job

Who we talkin' about?
Glad your guardian angel was on duty!! I had a similar experience with the chain and turnbuckle. The turnbuckle snapped just as I stepped onto the stand (I was skinny then, so keep your chunky comments to yourself). Looking at the exposed ends of the break, it looked like it was made from cast pot metal! Since then, I've used straps...guess either one could let you down FAST.

Praedator
Dang Scully. I am scared to death of falling out of a tree. I guess it's a good thing. So I definately wear my harness while in the tree and I will put a second strap on my ladder stand as well even though it's a new strap.

An old neighbor of mine fell while he was moving a lock on. Broke his back and was lucky he did not get paralyzed or worse. He did spend almost a year in recovery from all the back surgeries to fix him though. He had to miss two hunting seasons because of it. Ever since seeing what he had to go through and what could have happened, it made me real concious of the dangers.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea the second strap is a must for me from now on. You can get straps at walmart for $3.50 so theres no excuse for not having that second one. A safety harness will obviously save your life but i dont want to be hanging 20ft up until a friend finds me so ill be taking all necessary precautions from now on! Good luck this season guys. Hopefully this experience will just remind yall to put that extra strap on there or check those ratchets twice. As long as it reminds yall i feel like ive helped out.

Registered
If those are the camo ones they sell at Walmart on the hunting section they are crap, ive had two of those bust after not a lot of age at all. The material they are made of is garbage.i always put 4 on my lockons for my big but, glad I didn't have to come find you!

Registered
The biggest thing you can do for lock-on stands is to double strap them. Use the chain link with them and then use a new great quality strap every year as a secondary strap. That way you can have a backup if one breaks on you. Safety harness is a must for a tree stands but you can't set a stand with one on.

Banned
Every year I have always changed my straps on the stand and sticks. Just a safety thing. For $15 it is worth it,
I also know that most falls happen getting in and out of the stand so I use a Life Line secured from the ground to and while in the stand EVER UNHOOKED

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If those are the camo ones they sell at Walmart on the hunting section they are crap, ive had two of those bust after not a lot of age at all. The material they are made of is garbage.i always put 4 on my lockons for my big but, glad I didn't have to come find you!
Especially when I called you twice yesterday and could never get ahold of you!! :)

Super Moderator
I always use more straps then called fer! A 3-6 dollar strap is cheap compared to injury or death!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts