Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, places to stay and things to do, I know I can google this, but I would like first hand experience. And go

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Retired vet? If so, Sigsby Park ifin I remember righty. Ron might know for sure.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Squid technician
10,510 Posts
April is a great month down there Kenny. I like staying in Marathon or Big Pine Key because they’re more centrally located in the keys chain. In Marathon, I like Curry Hammock State Park and in Big Pine Key, the Big Pine Fishing Lodge and campsite. I’ll get back to this in a bit with a list of things I like to do and places to bring the wife.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I have camped at Bahia Honda State Park and I would go there again. Hard to find reservations during the winter but might be a little easier in spring.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Everglades National Park, Flamingo, is a great place to camp. I have tent camped there many times, and use it as the base to fish Florida Bay, or up into the Backcountry. Really fun fishing!

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Retired vet? If so, Sigsby Park ifin I remember righty. Ron might know for sure.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
Kenney isn't military. But you could be sponsered by a milirary.But they Must be with you at all times.been four years for me and times HAVE changed down there for everything. Go online and read the downloadable rules.
Boyds campgrounds is ok better call now for reservations in August , lobster season.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Never camped down there...other than in a hammock after a hurricane for work when there were no hotels, but I've been a bunch.

As for Key West area definitely eat at the Hogfish on stock island. I love The Porch just off duval for drinks, always end up at Capt.Tony's at some point. El Siboney for Cuban food Onlywood Pizzeria is great. The Mel Fisher museum is definitely worth a visit. Cuban Coffee Queen the morning after to get you going.

Check out the Square Grouper Grill

Bahia Honda is beautiful, there are some sweet wade fishing spots you can hike out to if you look in the middle and middle lower keys. I always stop at Cudjoe Sales for tackle. Feed the Tarpon at Robbie's ( I've actually never done this but it looks fun). Pennekamp reef in Largo is really cool to snorkel, or dive if you're certified.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Haven't been yet, but have heard that the military camps are basically a high school clique drama hell...

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
In April the Tarpon bite is hot under the Bahia Honda bridge. Rent a boat from Captain Pips. Finger mullet are the best bait if you can find them. Second best is a small crab. Use a Cobia rod. It will handle them, and the catch is much easier and quicker than a conventional. Better find a reservation NOW!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
If you stay in the Keys about anywhere take lots of money. We stayed at Boyds on Stock Island July of 2020. Family of 7 with a 28' foot travel trailer and truck with Honda Civic along extra. $170 a night with all their extra charges. Charged us to park the car and per extra person.

If you want to give KW Duval street nightlife a try you will have a tough time finding a parking spot for a big tow rig anywhere near Duval street. The last time I went there we parked motorcycles 6 blocks away and walked. parking is available before 3ish.

The Keys are just a sight see for me, I don't party or eat fancy food. When I'm motorcycle traveling I like to camp at Mitchell landing in big cypress (3+ hours to KW) and Flamingo at Everglades (4+ hours to KW). Robbie's for Tarpon feeding was a full parking lot for us In 2020 just past the covid shutdown time for the Keys. Bud and Mary's has the Tarpon too. About the only secret thing I could tell you to do is if you want to see a tiny key deer drive north on Big Pine key to No name key. Deer right on the road in northern Big Pine key residential areas.

For others info I've also stayed "on base" at KW campgrounds and the mobile homes and they get full fast. They even have a no electricity overflow campground (with assigned spots (no tents allowed)) and it is filled quick. Soninlaw is retired AF and he couldn't even book a base camp site in 2020 with 2 months notice (and July is off season). Best base camping for a few days is the mobile homes, they are 2 years new now.

Avoid Miami. Drive the Tamiami trail for sure. Gas up in North Miami off of hwy 997 for the best price like at 15699 SW 88th St, Miami, FL 33196. Likely 25 to 50 cents a gallon cheaper off the main highway.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Hey Kenny,
We've stayed at the Navy base on Key West and also Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge. This year we'll be going back to Boyd's on Stock Island. Haven't been there yet, but know a few people that have it sounds great. BPKFL was absolutely top notch and I highly recommend it. Everything is expensive as hell these days, and campground spots are very hard to find, so I suggest you get on it as soon as possible. Bahia Honda is all but impossible to get into if you don't plan a year in advance. It will somewhat depend on what you want to do while you're down there on where might be best to stay.
Check your PM's, I'm going to send you some more info.

·
Registered
591 Posts
A lot of the camp sites were destroyed during Hurricane Irma. Some were rebuilt and some closed. The ones that are left may be tough to get into without making reservations way in advance plus they are very pricey. You may want to consider leaving the rv at home and staying somewhere like Parmer's on Little Torch and bring a boat instead. Little Torch is next to Big Pine. Decent place to stay on the water and they have a pool. Straight run out the channel to the Atlantic. You can run to the Gulf but you better have someone to lead they way, or you will end up grounded.....Ask me how I know.... lol. On little torch you are close to several restaurants and bars and Key West is about 30 minutes drive.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you end up in Big Pine I highly recommend a day out at Looe Key snorkeling; it's a marine preserve and the underwater life is amazing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts