Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
eating tasty
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the idea from another site, and had some free time this week and made up my very first home made jigs. Table knife jigs, I bought some heavy butter knives from the thrift store and chopped off the blades and drilled a 1/8" hole, shaped them like I wanted and added a split and solid ring, and a homemade assist hook with Dacron main line, heat shrink and 5/0 owner hooks. I fancied some of them up with lure tape from the local tackle stores.

Dying to try them!!! They aren't super heavy, maybe 4 or 5 ounces so I don't know how well they'd do in a vertical jig application in current or deep water, but I feel like they might catch fish, plus it was just fun and cheap to make myself. What do ya'll think?

edited for better picture

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have tried something like that. They will catch fish, especially great for blackfin. Just an idea try to incorporate some glow in the dark color, it will help increase your catch deeper. Great work. Keep posting pics.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
Is this where?

http://humboldttuna.com/smf/index.php?topic=546.0

And to answer your question, yes they will slay the fish but cut like that they are a bit light for deeper water. My buddy I told about that buys all the butterknives he can find at garage sales and thrift stores and uses the entire knife and adds assists to the top and slams the ajs and snapper.

·
eating tasty
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lobsterman (3/27/2010)Is this where?

http://humboldttuna.com/smf/index.php?topic=546.0

And to answer your question, yes they will slay the fish but cut like that they are a bit light for deeper water. My buddy I told about that buys all the butterknives he can find at garage sales and thrift stores and uses the entire knife and adds assists to the top and slams the ajs and snapper.

Yes, that was the site. That guy is a true craftsman! I feel like they are kind of light, but on a light current day they feel like they would get down pretty quick. The entire knife idea is good, I have about 20 I haven't even cut yet so I might try that next. Thanks for the ideas!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
My buddy just painted some with testors model paint and some he left plain SS and they work just as good plain as painted without the labor involved in painting them. That guy is truely a craftsman. Even in deeper water the whole knife has a hard time getting down sometime.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
This is a great post!!! Thanks for sharing it....what a tip,:clap

I just bought 34 at a local thrift shop as soon as I read this...I had to go see what they had, now I just need to get busy making some for my trip down there and try them out!!

they say stainless but a magnet sticks to them....but for .10 a piece.... if I catch one fish what a bargain!!

Some of the larger handles are hollow(knifes), I drilled one that had sand in it....I'm going to try and pour lead in it to add some weight(the hollow knifehandles)

·
Super Moderator
27,946 Posts
Oughta keep it quiet...now the thrift stores will start selling them fer 5 bucks a piece.....I am always walking into thrift/goodwill stores wandering around thinking "what can I use this for" and also looking fer my ugly fishing shirts, but I never thought about using old knives.....That's a great idea!!!!:letsdrink

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Jason (3/27/2010)Oughta keep it quiet...now the thrift stores will start selling them fer 5 bucks a piece.....I am always walking into thrift/goodwill stores wandering around thinking "what can I use this for" and also looking fer my ugly fishing shirts, but I never thought about using old knives.....That's a great idea!!!!:letsdrink
You don't need to worry about the stores I go to....its to far north....I just pick up another 31 knives at another one....I'll be busy this winter when not hunting....they may work around here too for the fish.:)

·
Super Moderator
27,946 Posts
I was thinking about this a little more, and how bout using JB Weld and securing the hooks to the blade of the knife...maybe 1 on each side??? or drill a hole through and use a stainess bolt to secure 1 or 2 hooks??? added weight and since the cost is low, no worries on loosing...I like the "profesionalism" of the pics...looks like you got em in a store...Now I'm gonna be searching fer this stuff!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts