Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Beginner's Luck
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this awesome camping trip planned for ft pickens thur-sun. Had it planned since Jan. The weather is looking pretty serious for those days. Whats my chances of getting stranded out there with the road flooding? Anyone know?

Doubt my little tent will hold up w what they are predicting right now, but I'm hoping it will die down before it gets here.
Pretty bummed out.. Prob wont be till Summer to be able to make it back down... :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
Usually, if there's any doubt that the roads will flood/sand over them, etc. they will close the park down before the weather. At least recently they have seemed to be more on top of it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
28,144 Posts
Yeah, I'd go to a hotel!!! I'm off so the weather sucks! Ifin I was working, it'd be beautiful!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts
my forecast show between 15-20 wind from the south. was down by the water today and it surfing in the bay. if you decide to come. call first, as previously stated they are shutting down the camp ground on bad weather.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I was thinking Big Lagoon as well. I have camped at both, and prefer Big Lagoon campground over Ft Pickens. You still have the ability to make a 5 minute drive to Johnson's Beach for surf fishing as well as fishing from the shore at Big Lagoon where in many spots you are just a cast away from the deeper water of the intracoastal.

Good luck!
 

·
Beginner's Luck
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to check Big Lagoon out. Thanks for the Tip. Looks like they are going to evacuate Ft Pickens at noon tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
So they kick everyone out when it storms? Great we are heading to Ft Pickens on Monday. Hope it is open again by then.

Sorry OP that your trip was trashed though.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,606 Posts
So they kick everyone out when it storms? Great we are heading to Ft Pickens on Monday. Hope it is open again by then.

Sorry OP that your trip was trashed though.
If the water crosses the road it won't be. Be a couple weeks depending on how bad it is.
 

·
Beginner's Luck
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not an expert on the topic of ft pickens or anything since I've never been, but what I've heard is the road on the way into the park is prone to flooding. ocean waves actually going over the road and lots of sand getting washed up. I saw a pic on google where an SUV was up to the windows with sand (someone parked it w car trouble and a storm came through. Also heard of ppl getting stranded on the Island so they don't take chances if the surf is high along with the winds. They just go ahead and evacuate, So I've heard...
 

·
Beginner's Luck
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think they knew they were closing. It seems to me there are a couple of agencies collaborating and you know how that goes, communication doesn't always make it around. when I spoke with the actual park ppl they said the fastest way to know about the road closure was the gulf island national seashore facebook page .He also said the best/easiest way to to reschedule was to contact the .gov site where I reserved the camp site.

FYI that number is 877-444-6777 . Lady was very helpful although I had to pay another 10$ reserve fee, but got a credit for the amount I already paid. I did read about the nonrefundable 10$ cancel reschedule fee the first time I reserved my lot though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Kills me with the thought of rescheduling as I am bringing my boy down on his school break. Now it looks like we may have to go somewhere else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,527 Posts
So it can be closed for weeks? Kinda makes me mad cause they took my money today knowing it was closed.
Yesterday, the road was open, with a prediction of big winds coming. The road was not covered with sand yesterday.

There is nothing they can do about the weather. When the surf is big, as it is now, you would not want to be in there, and unable to leave.

The road can get covered with 4 feet of sand, and it takes sometime to get it open after a strong south wind.

Sorry about your vacation, but it happens.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top